What is the equation for light intensity decrease through glass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the distance light travels through glass and the resulting light intensity on the other side. The speaker is asking for help and clarification on any potential patterns or trends in their results. They express frustration with their teacher and offer to pay for assistance. The equation for the decrease in light intensity through glass is also mentioned.
Fosock
Any help here would be appreciated so much..

Is there an equation that links distance of glass traveled through to light intensity on the other side?

Obviously, the light intensity will decrease as the light travels through greater amounts of glass, but is there an trend I am looking for with my results? Any pattern?

Any info on this would mean everything to me, I am seriously at the end of my tether with a really poor teacher that won't help me out as 'that's not what his department does'. I'm not even allowed to hand in a draft, isn't that kinda wierd? I might go to another teacher I reckon, seems kinda fishy.

Laters, thanks SO much to anything at all that comes back.. I am completely willing to pay for any help.. I can post cash if you live in England, if not let me know what to do if you want paying or anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
The intensity of light decreases by the equation
[itex]I=I_0e^{-x/\delta}.\quad\delta[/itex] is called the
"attenuation length". It is given by
[itex]\delta=\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon}{\mu}}\left(\frac{c}{4\pi\sigma}\right)
[/itex] in Gaussian units). The derivation of this is a bit involved.

What is the light absorption equation?

The light absorption equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the intensity of light absorbed by a material and its concentration, thickness, and properties. It is often used to study the properties of different materials and their ability to absorb light.

How is the light absorption equation derived?

The light absorption equation is derived from Beer-Lambert's law, which states that the absorbance of a material is directly proportional to its concentration and the path length of light passing through it. This relationship is expressed as A = εcl, where A is absorbance, ε is the molar absorptivity coefficient, c is concentration, and l is path length.

What factors affect the accuracy of the light absorption equation?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the light absorption equation, including the purity of the material being studied, the wavelength of light being used, and the temperature and pressure conditions during the experiment. It is important to carefully control these variables to obtain reliable results.

How is the light absorption equation used in practical applications?

The light absorption equation has various practical applications, such as in spectrophotometry, where it is used to measure the concentration of a substance in a sample. It is also used in industries like pharmaceuticals and environmental monitoring to determine the concentration of pollutants in water or air.

What is the difference between absorption and transmission of light?

Absorption of light refers to the process of light being absorbed by a material, resulting in a decrease in its intensity. On the other hand, transmission of light refers to the process of light passing through a material without being absorbed. The light absorption equation can be used to calculate the amount of light absorbed or transmitted by a material.