Retaking Classes at the college level

In summary: I was the only student in the class who had taken calculus in high school. I struggled mightily and found the material to be very challenging. Thankfully, I was able to get help from my professor and eventually became a fairly successful student. In summary, if you're considering retaking your high school courses, definitely talk to a professor or counselor at the university you're planning to attend to get a better idea of what is expected and what resources are available. However, even with that preparation, odds are you will have to work hard to succeed in college-level math.
leon1127 said:
Most University offer introduction of calculus in 2 semester courses, which community college offers it in 3 semester mostly.

:JasonRox My school offers 90% of the higher level maths at night and lower during the afternoon, and i am on the line between higher and lower. Poor me :cry:

Nearly all of the universities I've researched cover introductory calc in 3 semesters...not just community colleges.

Physics news on Phys.org
leright said:
Nearly all of the universities I've researched cover introductory calc in 3 semesters...not just community colleges.
I completely agree.

leright said:
My university is an engineering school and requires calc 3 before taking DE. However, there's not a thing in calc 3 that is needed in DE. The reason calc 3 is a pre-req is simply because of the way the flow chart for engineering students is layed out. DE is taken after calc 3 on the flow chart, so calc 3 is a pre-req to DE. That's all, really. I doubt the chair of the math department would have a problem waiving that pre-req requirement if someone for some reason NEEDED to take both DE and calc 3 at the same time, of DE before taking calc 3.

Save some money and take it at CC. They are the same class.
waht do you guys mean by calc 3?
at my school
calc 1 is single variable
calc 2 is multivariable
calc 3 is essentially an analysis course delving into the theory aspect of calc 2 with intro to topology and rigirous real analysis

Calc 1 - Differential Calculus
Calc 2 - Integral Calculus
Calc 3 - Multivariable Calculus

well i guess its diffrent in Canada becasue we do calculus (used to anyway, not anymore, as of next academic year) in grade 12 and then go to university/college

Unfortunately, not all college's/professors are happy with the the AP classes taken in high school, or will allow you to use them for college credit. I can't say for sure the way things are now (I graduated from high school in '94 -things may be completely different-), but my sister and I both took AP level courses for several classes in high school; we both had just about perfect grades, and neither of us were allowed to carry every AP class over for college credit.

I did take AP calculus in high school and calc I in college; I found the material and the expectations -in college- to be much more than it was in high school. It was more rigorous, things moved at a quicker pace & they went through the material more in depth. Honestly, at first I was ticked off that I had to re take it, but in a way it was like taking a whole new class. I got a lot more out of it, and a better of understanding of concepts that I didn't even realize I needed a better understanding off.

I was actually just talking to my sister about this a few weeks ago, and both of us felt that we learned more and got more out of the classes that we re-took in college. I can honestly say if I had gone directly to the next level with everything when I got to college I think it would have put me at a disadvantage, and I'm glad I wasn't able to carry all those classes over.

One thing I've noticed that was going on when I was in high school, but seems to be getting more intense as the years go by is this need, and this push students are given to "speed" through everything as fast as possible. They are really pushing students (if their grades indicate they should take AP classes) to get college classes out of the way in high school, and pushing too hard in general. One of my employee's has a daughter in 12th grade, she takes AP classes, and does extrmemely well in them, but she has about 6 hours of homework and studying a night! I think this philosophy tends to leave teeneagers unprepared, and many get burnt out quickly. Don't push yourself too hard to get everything done fast. It's better to take a couple classes again than to go into new classes and fall behind because the AP class didn't cover enough material. Highschool classes, AP or not are not like a college course (at least in my experience).

If you really are set on getting ahead you could take the courses over the summer at the college your attending if it's in your hometown, and if it's not you could take them at a local university. My advice though would be to take at least some of the classes again (if you have a full AP load) in college and look at AP as college prep, a foundation so to speak. I haven't been in high school, or college for a while so if I'm way off I apologize, but I think it probably hasn't changed that much.

Regardless of what you do, good luck!:smile: