Small oscillations (normal modes)

In summary, the Lagrangian for the system of two coupled masses suspended from springs in a gravitational field and vibrating only vertically can be written as:L=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1,j=1}^2m_{ij}\dot{x}_i\dot{x}_j-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1,j=1}^2k_{ij}x_ix
wormhole
Hi

see the attached picture...
2 coupled masses, each suspended from spring in gravitational field...
also entire construction can vibrate only vertically...

I need to write lagrangian for this system in the following form:

[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1,j=1}^2m_{ij}\dot{x}_i\dot{x}_j-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1,j=1}^2k_{ij}x_ix_j
[/tex]

[itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]x_j[/itex] are displacements of masses from equalibrium positions and springs are identical

the kinetic part of L is easy one but i stack with potential part...
i get to this expression(i always confused about right signs):

[tex]m_1g(l+x_1)+m_2g(l+x_1+l+x_2) + \frac{1}{2}m_1{x_1}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2{x_2}^2[/tex]

- positive direction taken along g direction
- l is length of unstreched spring

every potential term in L must in [itex]k_{ij}x_ix_j[/itex] form but i don't see a way how do i get it from my expression for potential energy because there are g force terms containing only [itex]x_i[/itex] or [itex]x_j[/itex]

thanks

Attachments

• 2springs.GIF
    2springs.GIF
    1.1 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for help

Thank you for sharing your question with us. I am happy to help you with writing the Lagrangian for the system you described. Let's first start by defining the variables and parameters of the system:

- x_1 and x_2 are the displacements of the two masses from their equilibrium positions.
- m_1 and m_2 are the masses of the two masses, respectively.
- k is the spring constant for both springs.
- l is the length of the unstretched springs.
- g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Now, let's take a closer look at the potential energy of the system. The potential energy of a mass suspended from a spring is given by the formula: U = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. In your system, both masses are suspended from springs, so the total potential energy can be written as:

U = 1/2 * k * (x_1)^2 + 1/2 * k * (x_2)^2

Next, we need to take into account the gravitational potential energy of the system. Since the masses are suspended vertically, the gravitational potential energy will depend on the height of the masses from the ground. We can calculate this potential energy as:

U = m_1 * g * (l + x_1) + m_2 * g * (l + x_1 + l + x_2)

Here, we have taken into account the fact that the first mass is at a height of l + x_1 from the ground, and the second mass is at a height of l + x_1 + l + x_2 from the ground.

Now, we can combine these two expressions to get the total potential energy of the system:

U = 1/2 * k * (x_1)^2 + 1/2 * k * (x_2)^2 + m_1 * g * (l + x_1) + m_2 * g * (l + x_1 + l + x_2)

Finally, we can write the Lagrangian for the system as:

L = 1/2 * (m_1 + m_2) * (\dot{x_1})^2 + 1/2 * (m_2) * (\dot{x_2})

1. What are small oscillations?

Small oscillations refer to a type of motion in a system where the displacement from equilibrium is small. This means that the system is able to return to its original position and there is no significant change in its energy.

2. What are normal modes?

Normal modes are specific patterns of motion that a system can undergo during small oscillations. These modes are characterized by unique frequencies and amplitudes of oscillation.

3. How are normal modes related to small oscillations?

Normal modes are essentially the different ways in which a system can undergo small oscillations. Each normal mode has a specific frequency and amplitude, and the combination of all the normal modes determines the overall motion of the system.

4. What is the importance of studying small oscillations and normal modes?

Studying small oscillations and normal modes allows us to understand the behavior of systems in different situations. It also helps in predicting the response of a system to external forces or perturbations.

5. Can small oscillations occur in real-world systems?

Yes, small oscillations can occur in a variety of real-world systems such as springs, pendulums, and molecules. These systems can exhibit small oscillations when they are disturbed from their equilibrium position.