Creating an Online Racing Game - Help Needed with Cornering Equations

In summary, Cliff_J is trying to create an online racing game based on car physics, and he is looking for equations that describe how suspension behaves in corners. He explains that there are no "magic equations" that will solve the problem, and that you'll have to come up with something simple. He mentions lateral g-force ratings as a starting point, and suggests looking at a car's maximum straight-line (drag) acceleration and relating it to it's maximum centrifugal acceleration based on some constants.
c00ler
Hi All
I'm trying to creater online racing game based on car physics.
My car already running on the straight, but as you know racing tracks had some corners (doh !).
How my model pass the corner you can find in this tread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117606"
But As i know suspension is not last thing in cornering process and that's a reason why I'm posting this message.
Can anyone can help with such equations that describe how suspension fluent on cornering ?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Its incredibly complex.

What happens is that a tire that is flat to the ground gets the most traction, you want the vertical force to push all of the tread area onto the road surface evenly.

Unfortunately, a car in a corner will want to lean, and when it leans so do the tires attached to independent suspensions. This means that one edge of the tire gets more force than the other, which means less traction. In addition, the tire is not a rigid body and flexes allowing more of the force to end up on one edge and not on the other edge.

To counter this, tires can be leaned in slightly (called negative camber) so that in a corner this lean offsets the lean of the car. In addition, spring rates and anti-roll bar springs are used to minimize these effects, and this assumes the center of mass is as low as possible and the suspension is desinged accordingly.

Tires have a grip coefficient where as you apply more vertical force they can generate more horizontal traction, but its not a 1:1 relationship. So if you double the vertical force, you might get 50% more traction. If you cut the vertical force by 30% you might only loose 20% of the traction.

Combined with aerodynamics and the varied suspension designs and settings that have a dramatic effect on those settings, the closest you will come is a rough approximation.

So for your kinematic model, it might be best just to assume that the suspension is an awesome compromise and instead model the traction curve of the tires and then figure in the side-to-side force transfers from the corner itself, any braking or acceleration that causes front-to-rear force transfers, and the exponential amount of force from aerodynamics.

Hi Cliff_J
Thank you for your explanations
I'm not planning to have exact thing, so all i need is just simple factor
that will be based on corner radius and spring\anti-roll bar springs settings

Maybe you can point me on some equations ?

Thank you in advance

c00ler said:
Hi Cliff_J
Thank you for your explanations
I'm not planning to have exact thing, so all i need is just simple factor
that will be based on corner radius and spring\anti-roll bar springs settings

Maybe you can point me on some equations ?

Thank you in advance

Basically, there are no "magic equations" that will solve your problem. You'll have to come up with something simple, where the car's traction is a function of it's centrifugal acceleration or something like that.

You can look at "lateral g-force" ratings of some cars, they drive in a set-radius curve as fast as they can, and measure the maximum lateral g-forces. Sports cars are usually between 0.90g and 1.0g. Race cars can hit upwards of 2.0g depending on the road surface and tire combinations. You could look at a car's maximum straight-line (drag) acceleration and relate it to it's maximum centrifugal acceleration based on some constants.

Maybe just plug in numbers until you feel like it is kind of accurate...

1. What are the basics of cornering in an online racing game?

The basics of cornering in an online racing game involve understanding the physics of a car's movement and how it interacts with the track. This includes factors such as speed, weight, and tire grip. It also involves using techniques such as braking, accelerating, and steering to navigate through corners efficiently.

2. How do I create realistic cornering equations for my racing game?

To create realistic cornering equations for a racing game, it is important to research and understand the physics behind cornering. This includes factors such as centrifugal force, friction, and weight distribution. Once you have a solid understanding of these concepts, you can use mathematical equations to simulate realistic cornering movements in your game.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating cornering equations?

One common mistake to avoid when creating cornering equations is overlooking the importance of tire grip. In a racing game, tire grip is crucial in determining how a car will handle and corner on the track. It is important to factor in variables such as tire type, track surface, and tire wear when creating cornering equations.

4. How can I fine-tune cornering equations for different types of vehicles?

To fine-tune cornering equations for different types of vehicles, it is important to consider the unique characteristics of each vehicle. Factors such as weight, power, and tire grip will vary between different types of vehicles, so it is important to adjust the equations accordingly. Additionally, testing and gathering feedback from players can help in fine-tuning the cornering equations for different vehicles.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to help with creating cornering equations?

Yes, there are various resources and tools available to help with creating cornering equations for your racing game. These include physics simulation software, online forums and communities, and books on the subject. It is also helpful to study and analyze the cornering mechanics of other successful racing games to gain insights and inspiration.