What is the Purpose of Summer Vacations?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the person interviewed for jury duty has a fever and is going to the University of Arizona for a month to take some classes.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ya know what i was just wondering... what the hell is a summer vacation?

I mean really... when people become adults, it's like "holy crap, i have to work 50 weeks a year?". Why do schools have summer vacations? It seems like the one aspect in all of humanity where you regularly get a huge break from something. I think its kinda strange...

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Become a teacher. They get quite a lot of vocation. Just make sure you teach in a good school with possibly good students. Less stress, more talking, more vocations.. and so on x.x

heartless said:
Become a teacher. They get quite a lot of vocation. Just make sure you teach in a good school with possibly good students. Less stress, more talking, more vocations.. and so on x.x

I think a more useful proposition would be to take away summer vacation from students. Maybe then they'd actually learn something with an extra 3 months to do so.

You think too much. Stop.

Thread Locked.

Why do schools (and universities) have summer vacations?
It's an old tradition. In an agrarian society, of which much of America was in the 1700's, summer was the time for children to help parents on the farm. For the same reason many Unitarian Universalist Fellowships/Churches traditionally have a summer break.

Starting in 7th grade, my summers considered mostly of summer school at a local university and working - until I graduated from high school. At university, I just worked during the summer full time as opposed to part time, which I did during the semesters.

Last edited:
Oh yah i forgot about that. Stop ruining my threads astronuc :P

Just trying to be helpful, or really useful, like Thomas the Tank Engine. :biggrin:

Can we get a Thomas the Tank Engine smiley? :smile:

I loved that little engine!

holy crap! I have an interview the day i have jury duty! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pengwuino said:
I loved that little engine!

holy crap! I have an interview the day i have jury duty! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Things always go that way :(

I haven't been sick in the past 1.5 years (before yesterday...), yet yesterday I had quite a high fever... Tomorow I'm going to the University of Arizona for a month to take some classes...

What is the Purpose of Summer Vacations?

The purpose of summer vacations is to provide a break from the academic school year and give students and teachers time to relax and recharge before the next school year begins.

Why do we have summer vacations?

Summer vacations were initially created to give students and teachers a break from the hot and uncomfortable classrooms during the summer months when air conditioning did not exist. They also allow for families to plan vacations and spend quality time together.

Do summer vacations benefit students?

Yes, summer vacations have been found to benefit students by giving them a mental and physical break from the demanding school year. It also allows students to engage in different experiences and activities that can enhance their learning and personal development.

How long should summer vacations be?

The length of summer vacations varies by country and school district. In the United States, summer vacations typically last around 2-3 months, while in other countries they may be longer or shorter. The length of summer vacations is often determined by local climate and cultural traditions.

Are there any downsides to summer vacations?

Some research suggests that long summer vacations may contribute to learning loss and achievement gaps, particularly for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. However, the benefits of summer vacations, such as giving students a break and promoting family time, are still widely recognized and valued.