Mysterious Water Freezes Instantly in Cold Climate

In summary, the speaker experienced a strange phenomenon with a bottle of water that froze into a slush immediately after shaking it. They mention that this behavior is typically seen in super-saturated liquids and ask for an explanation of what might have occurred. It is explained that the water was "super-cooled" due to a lack of nucleation points, and that shaking the bottle created pressure changes that facilitated the formation of ice. The addition of carbonation can also affect the freezing point of the water. This phenomenon is not uncommon and has even been observed with carbonated drinks.
Scratch
Got a question about something that happened to me today, hoping someone might have an answer that might explain it. I went to get a bottle of water from the fridge that is out in our porch where there is no insulation from the outside. In New England it is very cold about -5F today. I opened the bottle of water (poland spring) then put the cap back on shook it and it imediatly froze to a slush. Now I have seen this type of behavior in super saturated liquids, when something is placed or dropped it immediatly forms solids, but of course I don't believe this has anything to do with it. I don't believe the bottles are pressurized for safety measures. It just seemed really weird can anyone give a remote explanation of what occurred I ahvegone through several physics classes and one chemistry class but never heard r seen this done.

Physics news on Phys.org
Water was 'super-cooled'. When water cools below O C, or 32 F (actually a bit lower because of dissolved salts), but there are no nucleation points, then the ice crystals do not form. Similarly, it is possible to create super-heated water that is hotter than boiling, but is still which will explode into boiling when stimulated.

Shaking the bottle creates local spikes and troughs in pressure that facilitate the formation of ice.

For carbonated water there is an additional factor that as the bubbles escape, the freezing point of the water rises.

i had a bottle of pop do that a week ago, thanks boggled me too

1. Why does water freeze instantly in cold climates?

Water freezes when its temperature reaches the freezing point, which is 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit). In cold climates, the temperature is often below this freezing point, causing water to freeze instantly upon contact with a cold surface.

2. Is this phenomenon dangerous?

In some cases, yes. If water freezes instantly on a road or sidewalk, it can create a thin layer of ice that can be hazardous for pedestrians and drivers. However, in most cases, the instant freezing of water in cold climates is just a natural occurrence and not a significant safety concern.

3. Can other liquids freeze instantly in cold climates?

Yes, any liquid that has a freezing point below the temperature of the environment can freeze instantly in cold climates. This includes substances like alcohol, milk, and even mercury. However, water is the most common and well-known liquid that freezes instantly in cold temperatures.

4. Are there any other factors that can contribute to water freezing instantly in cold climates?

Yes, the presence of impurities in the water can also affect its freezing point. Pure water has a freezing point of 0 degrees Celsius, but water with impurities like salt or sugar will have a lower freezing point. This means that in some cases, water with impurities may not freeze instantly in extremely cold climates.

5. Can this phenomenon be recreated in a laboratory setting?

Yes, scientists can recreate the instant freezing of water in a laboratory by using a supercooled liquid. This is a liquid that has been cooled below its freezing point without turning into a solid. When a supercooled liquid comes into contact with a solid surface, it can instantly freeze, mimicking the phenomenon seen in cold climates.