Calculating the Distance Traveled by a Charged Pimeson in Relativistic Mechanics

• Thread starter eri3an
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of distance traveled by a charged pimeson in both the resting system and the laboratory system, with a given kinetic energy of 700 MeV. The concept of relativistic kinetic energy and the famous equation of Einstein, E = mc^2, are mentioned. The solution involves calculating the value of m when the particle moves and using the 4-momentum in the lab frame and the pi meson rest frame to determine the velocity and time and length contraction factors. The conversation ends with the problem being solved and thanks being given.
eri3an
I have problems with some excercises before my exam on friday. please help me

1) A charged pimeson has a lifetime of t=2,6*10^-8 s in its resting system.

a) How far distance L does it travel in Inrelastvistic mechanics?If its kinetic energy is 700 MeV?

b) How far distance L0 (seen by observator in laboratoriesystem) does it go by relativistik mechaniks?

Pimesons mass is140 MeV/c^2.

I get a to be 20 m using 700 = 1/2*mv^2 but i don't get b. Anyone that can solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What the expression for relativistic kinetic energy? (Either look it up or derive it.)

You have to remember the famous equation of Einstein: E = mc^2.
Where m is the mass of the particle when it moves.

the kinetic energie is the difference between the energy of the particle when it is movin and the rest energy (the energy that the particle has when it is at rest).
You must know how to calculate the value of m when the particle moves.
bye

Write down the square of the 4-momentum in the lab frame and the pi meson rest frame, then set them equal. From this, knowing the rest mass and kinetic energy, you can get the velocity and then the time and length contraction factors. You can also use the square of the proper time to get the lab frame travel distance from the lab frame lifetime, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Solved

Thanks I solved it tnhe answer was just ight ifront of me but i made an awful mistake during my way :confused: Thnx guys and (girls?)

1. What are the main problems with relativity?

The main problems with relativity include the incompatibility between general relativity and quantum mechanics, the existence of singularities, and the lack of a unified theory that explains both gravity and the other fundamental forces.

2. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames and includes the effects of gravity.

3. How does the theory of relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

The theory of relativity states that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time and space can be perceived differently by different observers depending on their relative motion and gravitational fields.

4. Is the theory of relativity still considered valid today?

Yes, the theory of relativity is considered one of the most successful and well-supported theories in physics. It has been extensively tested and continues to accurately predict the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of relativity?

Yes, the theory of relativity has many practical applications, including GPS navigation systems, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. It also led to the discovery of gravitational waves, opening up a new field of astronomy.