Using Line-In on Sound Card for Measurement/Analysis

• Thread starter Shawnzyoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
Line-in on his computer's sound card and the program XOSCOPE for measurement/analyzing.- He wants to make sure he doesn't damage his sound card before attempting to use it.- Some sound cards have a line-in voltage of 1.737 (peak), and he asks if this is the standard.- He asks if anyone has experience with this setup and if they have had any successes or failures.In summary, Warren is researching how to use Line-in on his computer's sound card with XOSCOPE for measurement/analyzing. He is concerned about damaging his sound card and asks about the standard voltage for line-in on sound cards. He also seeks advice from others who have experience with this setup
Shawnzyoo
I have been reading up using the Line-in on my computers sound card and the pogram XOSCOPE to be able to do some various measurement/analyzing
But before I attempt to actually plug anything together i want to make sure I don't wreck my soundcard
I have found that some soundcards have the line-in listed at a voltage of 1.737 (peak) is this the standard for soundcards?
has anyone here have any experiences with this setup
successes/failures?
Thanks for any advice!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usually 2V peak-to-peak isn't a problem. It's almost assuredly going through an input transformer first anyway. It's hard to wreck it.

- Warren

Using the Line-in on a sound card for measurement and analysis is a common and cost-effective method for many users. It allows for easy access to the audio signal and can provide accurate measurements with the right software and equipment. However, it is important to take precautions and ensure that you do not damage your sound card in the process.

Firstly, it is important to check the specifications of your sound card to determine the maximum voltage that it can handle on the line-in. While some sound cards may have a standard voltage of 1.737 peak, it is always best to double-check and ensure that your sound card can handle the voltage that you will be inputting.

It is also recommended to use a buffer or attenuator between the audio source and the sound card to protect against any potential voltage spikes or surges. This will help to prevent any damage to your sound card.

As for experiences with this setup, it would be best to reach out to others who have used the same setup and ask for their feedback and advice. This can help you to avoid any potential pitfalls and ensure a successful setup.

In conclusion, using the Line-in on a sound card for measurement and analysis can be a useful and cost-effective method, but it is important to take precautions and ensure that your sound card is not damaged in the process. Double-check the specifications of your sound card and use a buffer or attenuator for added protection. It would also be beneficial to seek advice from others who have experience with this setup.

1. What is Line-In on a sound card?

Line-In is an audio input port on a sound card that allows you to connect external audio devices, such as microphones or instruments, to your computer for recording or analysis.

2. How do I use Line-In for measurement/analysis?

To use Line-In for measurement/analysis, you will need to connect your audio device to the Line-In port on your sound card using an appropriate cable. Then, you can use a software program, such as an audio recording or analysis software, to capture and analyze the incoming audio signal.

3. What types of measurements/analysis can be done using Line-In?

Line-In can be used for a variety of audio measurements and analysis, such as recording and analyzing sound waves, measuring sound levels, and capturing audio data for further analysis in other software programs.

4. Are there any limitations to using Line-In for measurement/analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Line-In for measurement/analysis. The quality of the audio signal may be affected by factors such as the quality of the sound card and the cable used, and there may be some signal loss or distortion during the recording or analysis process.

5. Can Line-In be used for real-time measurement/analysis?

Yes, Line-In can be used for real-time measurement/analysis, depending on the software program being used. Some programs allow for real-time analysis and display of the incoming audio signal, while others may require the signal to be recorded first before analysis can be done.