Solving Homogeneous Problem: Initial Value & Substitution

In summary, the question is asking for the initial value problem of the homogeneous equation y' = xy. You are supposed to substitute x for y in order to get y' = \frac{v}{1- v^2}. However, if you make the substitution x = vy, you get y' = \frac{v}{1- v^2} but at this stage you have made the substitution twice. You can then separate the variables by solving for v in terms of y and x. Thanks for all your help!
The Bob
Hi all,

I have been given this question:

Find the initial value problem of the homogeneous equation:

[tex](x^2 - y^2) y' = xy \ , \ y(1) = 1[/tex]

Now I know, from my lessons, I have to get it in the form of:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = f(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]

I have managed to get close but nothing is working out.

If I make the substitution x = vy then I can get [tex]y' = \frac{v}{1 - v^2}[/tex] but at this state I have made the substitution twice, not once. I then get to a place where I can separate the variables:

[tex]\int \frac{1 - v^2}{v^3} dv = \int \frac{1}{x} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{v^3} dv - \int \frac{1}{v} dv = \int \frac{1}{x} dx[/tex]

[tex] \frac{-1}{2v^2} - ln \vert v \vert = ln \vert x \vert + c[/tex]

Then from here my calculations go all funny. Does anyone know if I am barking up the correct tree?

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bob said:
Hi all,

I have been given this question:

Find the initial value problem of the homogeneous equation:
You mean find the solution to this initial value problem!

[tex](x^2 - y^2) y' = xy \ , \ y(1) = 1[/tex]

Now I know, from my lessons, I have to get it in the form of:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = f(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]

I have managed to get close but nothing is working out.

If I make the substitution x = vy then I can get [tex]y' = \frac{v}{1 - v^2}[/tex] but at this state I have made the substitution twice, not once.
Actually, if you made that substitution, then the right hand side would be [itex]\frac{v}{v^2-1}[/itex]. But you are making the wrong substitution- you don't want to substitute for the independent variable x, you want to substitute for the dependent variable y. The reason for that is that your
[tex]y'= \frac{v}{1- v^2}[/itex]
has only replaced x/y by v on the right side: the left side, y', is still differentiation with respect to x, not v.

Let y= vx so that v= y/x. Divide both sides of the equation by [itex]x^2- y^2[/itex] to get [itex]y'= \frac{xy}{x^2- y^2}[/itex] and then divide both numerator and denominator by x2 to get the right hand side to be
[tex]\frac{\frac{y}{x}}{1- \left(\frac{y}{x})^2}= \frac{v}{1-v^2}[/tex]
But since y= xv, y'= xv'+ v so your equation is really [itex]xv'+ v= \frac{v}{1- v^2}[/itex] and so [itex]xv'= \frac{v}{1-v^2}-v= \frac{v^3}{1-v^2}[/itex]. That is a separable equation and can be solved for v.

I then get to a place where I can separate the variables:

[tex]\int \frac{1 - v^2}{v^3} dv = \int \frac{1}{x} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{v^3} dv - \int \frac{1}{v} dv = \int \frac{1}{x} dx[/tex]

[tex] \frac{-1}{2v^2} - ln \vert v \vert = ln \vert x \vert + c[/tex]

Then from here my calculations go all funny. Does anyone know if I am barking up the correct tree?

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

Cheers HallsofIvy. I didn't think anyone was going to reply. :rofl:

I cannot see how, from [tex]\frac{-1}{2v^2} - ln|v| = ln|x| + c[/tex], I can be solved for v. I say that because there is a term in the logarithm and one out of it. Unfortunately, I have not covered this so I am still stuck. I do eventually get to [tex]y^{2 - y^2} = x^2[/tex] but I cannot do anything with that either.

Thanks for all your help. I did allow me to see how I should have made the substitution. :biggrin:

Cheers

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
[tex]y^{2 - y^2} = x^2[/tex]

This is wrong. I got to [tex]\frac{e^{y^2}}{y^{y^2}} = e^{x^2}[/tex].

The Bob (2004 ©)

I don't see how you could get
[tex]y^{y^2}[/itex]

I get [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\frax{x^2}{y^2}- ln\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)= ln -\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. Are you required to solve for y? In general, in problems like this, that is impossible.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see how you could get
[tex]y^{y^2}[/itex]

I get [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\frax{x^2}{y^2}- ln\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)= ln -\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. Are you required to solve for y? In general, in problems like this, that is impossible.

I do not know what I got off hand, unfortunately I am in a rush. I do agree that [tex]y^{y^2}[/tex] is not correct.

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is a homogeneous problem?

A homogeneous problem is a type of mathematical problem where the equation or system of equations can be rewritten in a form where all the terms have the same degree. This means that the variables in the equation(s) have the same exponent, and there are no constant terms.

2. What is an initial value in a homogeneous problem?

In a homogeneous problem, an initial value is a specific value given for the independent variable (usually denoted as t) at a specific point in the problem. This value is used to find a particular solution to the problem.

3. How do you solve a homogeneous problem?

To solve a homogeneous problem, you can use the method of substitution. This involves substituting a new variable (usually denoted as v) for the original variable in the equation(s), which transforms the problem into a simpler form that can be solved using basic algebraic techniques.

4. What is the importance of finding a particular solution in a homogeneous problem?

In a homogeneous problem, finding a particular solution allows you to determine the general solution to the problem. This is because the general solution is a combination of the particular solution and the solution to the homogeneous equation. Additionally, the particular solution can help you understand the behavior of the system at a specific point in time.

5. Can the method of substitution be used to solve all homogeneous problems?

No, the method of substitution can only be used to solve homogeneous problems where the equation(s) can be rewritten in a form where all the terms have the same degree. If the equation(s) cannot be transformed into this form, then alternative methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors may be necessary.