Designing a Heat/Fire-Resistant Safe for Data Protection

In summary, you are trying to make a safe to protect electronic media from the heat gain from the fire. You are also looking for a safe that is as thin as possible and has minimal wall thickness.
Tom F
Help. I need help in designing a "safe" that gives me heat and fire protection. I will be using an skins of steel and need help in selecting the core materials. I am trying to protect electronic media so the heat gain inside has to be close to minimal. I am also trying to keep overall wall thickness to 3" or less.

I have looked at a 1/16" steel, 1/2" gysum, 1" of Thermafiber Kfac SR (http://www.thermafiber.com/PDFs/TF668c.pdf ), 1" of foam insulation, 1/2" gypsum and an inner skin of 1/16" steel. This is not so much a safe but a data protection cabinet.

Thanks for your help.

Tom Fischetti
tom@remontllc.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Put it under water, in a sump pump basin, below floor level in your basement.

A comedian, Thanks

Tom, I was only trying to help. I don't know a better way to provide thermal protection, other than gypsum or concrete, so my suggestion was to locate your safe in a place where it wouldn't be subjected to the heat in the first place. I'm sorry that you took this as sarcasm, it wasn't meant that way. -Mike

what is it you are trying to heatsink?

you should look into microprocessor heatsinks, methods of heatsinking for computer systems are highly advanced in my opinion...

there are also models and completed models of water-based heatsinks, to support Sewell's solution...

check it out->

http://www.a1-electronics.net/Heatsinks/2003/Thermtake_AquII_Jan03.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't trust anything important to a safe you made yourself. Real fire protection safes are rated for time and temperature. And putting it underwater in your basement is not unreasonable - your house could burn to the ground and smolder for days and the safe would survive.

Elibol - swing and a miss.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I wouldn't trust anything important to a safe you made yourself. Real fire protection safes are rated for time and temperature. And putting it underwater in your basement is not unreasonable - your house could burn to the ground and smolder for days and the safe would survive.

Elibol - swing and a miss.

My thoughts exactly.

If you are wanting to actually protect something of value, you could not build a safe, that will actually do the job, for less then you could buy a professionally designed and manufactured one off the shelf.

Last edited:
uhh, yea i knew that... doh...

:D

1. How does heat/fire resistance protect data in a safe?

In a heat/fire-resistant safe, the materials used are specifically chosen to withstand high temperatures and prevent heat transfer. This means that even if the external temperature rises to extreme levels, the inside of the safe remains relatively cool, protecting the data stored inside.

2. What materials are commonly used to make heat/fire-resistant safes?

Some common materials used to make heat/fire-resistant safes include steel, concrete, and gypsum. These materials have high melting points and low thermal conductivity, making them effective at preventing heat transfer and keeping the contents of the safe safe from fire damage.

3. How do you determine the level of heat/fire resistance in a safe?

The level of heat/fire resistance in a safe is determined by various factors, such as the materials used, the thickness of the walls, and the length of time the safe can withstand high temperatures. This information is usually provided by the manufacturer and can be found in the safe's specifications.

4. Can a heat/fire-resistant safe also protect against water damage?

Some heat/fire-resistant safes also offer water resistance, which means they can protect against water damage in addition to heat and fire. This is achieved by using materials that can repel water and prevent it from entering the safe, keeping the contents safe and dry.

5. Are there any special maintenance or care required for a heat/fire-resistant safe?

To ensure that a heat/fire-resistant safe remains effective in protecting data, it is important to regularly check for any damage or wear and tear. Additionally, keeping the safe in a cool and dry location can help maintain its effectiveness. It is also recommended to periodically test the safe's heat/fire resistance by exposing it to high temperatures for a short period of time.