Importing Solid Files to AutoCad in IGES Format

In summary: If you can import some other version of file, such as parasolid or something, I'd be happy to try and convert it to some other file format for you. We have NX 4.0 which can export parasolid, step, or iges.I think they have moved it to some kind of "data applications" package. I know in AC 2002, you needed Mechanical Desktop to import IGES. I haven't been able to find a straight answer for 2000 which is what we use.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Does anyone know of a way to import solid files in an IGES format into AutoCad? It appears that they did away with the IGESIN command.

Computer science news on Phys.org
... did they at some point move the IGES import capability to a separate plugin, module or something related (which of course would have to acquire separately) - or could be I'm remembering it all wrong? Remember sometime way back finding a number of IGES import tools for acad online (when working with some "stitching " problems and was getting desperate), don't know whether they're really an option.

I think they have moved it to some kind of "data applications" package. I know in AC 2002, you needed Mechanical Desktop to import IGES. I haven't been able to find a straight answer for 2000 which is what we use.

I'll take anything right now. I have found a couple but they are a little pricey. I guess I'll keep hunting on line. Thanks Perennial!

FredGarvin said:
I think they have moved it to some kind of "data applications" package. I know in AC 2002, you needed Mechanical Desktop to import IGES. I haven't been able to find a straight answer for 2000 which is what we use.

I'll take anything right now. I have found a couple but they are a little pricey. I guess I'll keep hunting on line. Thanks Perennial!

If you can import some other version of file, such as parasolid or something, I'd be happy to try and convert it to some other file format for you. We have NX 4.0 which can export parasolid, step, or iges.

EDIT: It also looks like I might be able to export to DXF/DWG, isn't that AutoCAD?

Mech_Engineer said:
If you can import some other version of file, such as parasolid or something, I'd be happy to try and convert it to some other file format for you. We have NX 4.0 which can export parasolid, step, or iges.

EDIT: It also looks like I might be able to export to DXF/DWG, isn't that AutoCAD?

My original assembly is in Pro/E which I can export to pretty much anything, including iges, but AutoCAD doesn't support any of them any longer. If you can export to DWG or DXF that would be a home run! Unfortunately, even though there is nothing classified in it, it is for my work and I don't think it would be looked upon too kindly if I put this out in the open (there is some proprietary items in it). Thanks a ton for the offer though ME.

FredGarvin said:

Was it the "data exchange module"? It's probably bunched with mechanical desktop. Same thing with NX I primarily use nowadays for model construction, have to buy plugins separately :grumpy: . Don't know how reliable those "around $200" plugins are, hope for the best. I often use Femap to do the translations, it supports and converts pretty much anything.

1. How do I import Solid Files to AutoCad in IGES Format?

To import Solid Files to AutoCad in IGES Format, follow these steps:1. Open AutoCad and click on the "File" menu.2. Select "Import" and then click on "IGES (.igs, .iges) Files" from the dropdown menu.3. Browse and select the IGES file you want to import.4. Click "Open" to import the file into AutoCad.5. The IGES file will now be converted and imported into AutoCad in a solid format.

2. Can I modify the imported IGES file in AutoCad?

Yes, you can modify the imported IGES file in AutoCad. Once the file is imported, it will be converted into a solid object that can be edited using AutoCad's editing tools. However, keep in mind that the level of modification you can make will depend on the complexity of the original IGES file.

3. What if the IGES file does not import correctly into AutoCad?

If the IGES file does not import correctly into AutoCad, there may be compatibility issues between the file and AutoCad. Try exporting the file in a different format and importing it again. If the issue persists, there may be errors in the IGES file that need to be fixed before it can be imported into AutoCad.

4. Can I import multiple IGES files at once in AutoCad?

Yes, you can import multiple IGES files at once in AutoCad. Simply select all the files you want to import and follow the same steps as importing a single file. AutoCad will convert and import all the selected files into separate solid objects.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of the imported IGES file in AutoCad?

To ensure the accuracy of the imported IGES file in AutoCad, make sure to check the import settings before importing the file. You can adjust the precision and other settings to ensure that the imported file is as accurate as possible. Additionally, it is also recommended to check the original IGES file for any errors before importing it into AutoCad.