Why -3db frequency shows 45degree phase shift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of -3dB as a corner frequency in a simple RC lowpass filter and the corresponding 45 degree phase shift. The reason for this convention is not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the -45 degree phase shift that occurs at this frequency. The transfer function is used to solve for the frequency where the magnitude of the transfer function is -6dB or -3dB and then find the corresponding phase shift at that frequency. The article linked in the conversation may provide further insight into this topic.
ida_fahani
help me guys...
i reall need the answer ASAP...:cry:
Thanx in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
In a simple RC filter yes.

Write the transfer equation for a simple RC lowpass filter as lpfr suggests, using complex impedances. Then solve for the frequency where the magnitude of the transfer function is:

[tex]\frac{V_o}{V_i} = -6dB [/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{P_o}{P_i} = -3dB [/tex]

and then plug that frequency back into the transfer function equation to find the phase shift at the -3dB point. Show us your work.

EDIT -- fixed a power versus voltage error that I had in the transfer function equations.

Last edited:
thanx...really apperitiate if u guys can explain to me in deapth..:smile:

ida_fahani said:
thanx...really apperitiate if u guys can explain to me in deapth..:smile:

We'd be happy to. Show us your work in writing the equations that I mentioned, and then we can start discussing them if you don't get something. Again, we do not do your work here on the PF -- you need to show your work here, in order to get our help.

the question is:

why we choose -3db as a corner frequency?
why -3db show 45 degree phase shift?

i just need your help to enhance my answer.

ida_fahani said:
the question is:

why we choose -3db as a corner frequency?
why -3db show 45 degree phase shift?

AFAIK, -3dB power (or -6dB voltage) is just a handy convention for the "corner" frequency. Although the -45 degree phase shift may be the reason that it is the handy convention.

For you to give a good answer to these questions, you need to do the math that I described. You will see why the -45 degree phase shift corresponds to a -3dB in power for the transfer function, or equivalently a -6dB in the voltage transfer function.

BTW, I see now that I was careless and showed -3dB in the voltage tranfer function. I've gone back and corrected that. in my previous post in this thread.

There is a 45 degree shift because R=C at fc. So the circuit is neither capacitive nor resistive. arctan -Xc/R where Xc=R so arctan -Xc/R == arctan -1 ==-45deg.
that was a little shortcutish way.

real angle derivation is from the transfer function berke is talking about. vo/vi. you will find the angle to be -90 - arctan -Xc/R for lowpass RC.

hope that was helpful.

Last edited:

1. Why does a -3db frequency show a 45 degree phase shift?

The -3db frequency is the frequency at which the output power of a system is half of the input power. This frequency also represents the cutoff frequency of a filter. At this frequency, the output signal will have a phase shift of 45 degrees compared to the input signal. This is because the filter is attenuating the signal by half, which results in a 45 degree phase shift between the output and input signals.

2. How is the -3db frequency related to a low pass filter?

The -3db frequency is the cutoff frequency of a filter, which is the frequency at which the output power is half of the input power. In a low pass filter, frequencies below the cutoff are allowed to pass through with minimal attenuation, while frequencies above the cutoff are significantly attenuated. Therefore, the -3db frequency is an important parameter for determining the bandwidth and filtering capabilities of a low pass filter.

3. Does a -3db frequency always result in a 45 degree phase shift?

No, a -3db frequency is not always associated with a 45 degree phase shift. The phase shift at this frequency depends on the type of filter being used. For example, a high pass filter will have a phase shift of -45 degrees at the -3db frequency, while a band pass filter will have a phase shift of 0 degrees at this frequency. It is important to consider the type of filter and its characteristics when determining the phase shift at the -3db frequency.

4. How does the phase shift at the -3db frequency affect the frequency response of a system?

The phase shift at the -3db frequency can significantly impact the frequency response of a system. In some cases, a 45 degree phase shift can result in a phase cancellation between the input and output signals, leading to a weaker overall signal. Additionally, the phase shift at the -3db frequency can affect the slope of the filter's frequency response curve, which can impact the filtering capabilities of the system.

5. Can the -3db frequency be adjusted to achieve a specific phase shift?

In most cases, the -3db frequency is determined by the design and characteristics of the filter being used. However, there are certain filters, such as state-variable filters, that allow for the adjustment of the -3db frequency and therefore the phase shift. In general, it is not recommended to adjust the -3db frequency solely for the purpose of achieving a specific phase shift, as this can significantly affect the overall performance and stability of the system.