Fix External HDD Access Issues - Get Files Back!

In summary, you can login to the copy of windows on that hard drive to prove you're its rightful owner and stop giving you these relentless issues.
Aschere
So I just salvaged the HD from my laptop which just imploded itself, it still works and all (I have it connected to an enclosure and USB'd into my computer), but I can't get my files off of it. It keeps saying that the access is denied, and I realize this is a microsoft privacy thing, but is there a way for me to login to that copy of windows on that hard drive to prove I'm its rightful owner and stop giving me these relentless issues?

Computer science news on Phys.org
you could try changing the owner of that file/folder. right click and click properties (make sure simple file sharing is disabled in folder options, view tab, the one right at the very bottom) clcik security, click advanced, click on the owner tab, click on your username and click OK or apply.

Mshome Or Workgroup

Go too the Folders Properties. To the Folders where the file is at And pick Share this folder on the network.

If that do not work then.

:biggrin:Network Connections maybe not the same Work group. Like Mshome Or Workgroup. For it have to be the same Names to work, and To see if it's the same name go to: My Computer,
look in
System Task,
go to
View system information,
Computer Name
you see.

For example: "Kitchen Computer" or "Marry's
Computer".

Full Computer Name: ******

Workgroup: MSHOME

if the workgroup not the same both Computer. Then Click Change make the Workgroup the some. For windows 95 is name workgroup, windows 98 is name home, and Me is name home. For windows 2000 is name home. to Xp is name MSHOME, and windows Vista is name workgroup, But it maybe a Company that you or some one else name.

Last edited:
Most probably, You might have enabled "drive-lock" type of application in your lap-top's bios, which actually will not allow you to acces the data without the kernel commands passed thru the BIOS ID...
If this is the case, look for the bios version in your laptop and search for the authentication "keyring" and add it in you current machine's startup...
if that was the case this shud solve the problem, else :

You can try to set folder and files permission globally , and login via Admin and retrive the folder contents..though if you're using EFPS or HPFS , its sure will be lost , if you're just using NTFS, you can surely retrive the data though...

1. How can I fix access issues with my external hard drive?

There are a few potential solutions for fixing access issues with your external hard drive. First, try connecting the hard drive to a different computer or using a different USB port. If that doesn't work, you can also try using disk repair software or manually repairing the drive through the command prompt. If these methods don't work, it's possible that the drive is physically damaged and may need professional data recovery services.

2. Why am I experiencing access issues with my external hard drive?

There are a few different reasons why you may be experiencing access issues with your external hard drive. It could be due to a corrupted file system, a damaged USB port or cable, or physical damage to the drive itself. It's also possible that there are software conflicts or compatibility issues with your operating system.

3. How can I retrieve my files from an inaccessible external hard drive?

If you are unable to access your files on an external hard drive, there are a few options for retrieving them. You can try using data recovery software to scan the drive and retrieve any recoverable files. If that doesn't work, you may need to seek professional data recovery services. In some cases, it may be possible to manually repair the drive through the command prompt, but this should only be attempted by experienced users.

4. Can I prevent external hard drive access issues in the future?

There are a few steps you can take to help prevent external hard drive access issues in the future. First, make sure to safely eject the drive from your computer and avoid unplugging it while data is being transferred. It's also a good idea to regularly back up your files from the external hard drive to another storage device. If you frequently use the drive, it's important to regularly perform maintenance checks and scans to catch any potential issues early on.

5. What should I do if none of these solutions work?

If you have tried all of the above solutions and are still unable to access your external hard drive, it's possible that the drive is physically damaged. In this case, you may need to seek professional data recovery services. These experts have specialized tools and techniques to retrieve data from damaged drives, but keep in mind that this can be a costly process. It's always a good idea to regularly back up your important files to avoid potential data loss.