Amateur Physicist's Breakthrough: How To Make It Known?

• Thread starter etr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amateur
In summary, an amateur physicist who makes a major breakthrough would need to submit a research paper for review by an expert committee, and if approved, it would be published in journals. However, due to the lack of a physics degree and connections in the field, the breakthrough may be met with skepticism and difficulties in making it known. As a future professional physicist, these challenges would not apply.
etr
Let's pretend that an amateur physicist makes a major breakthrough.

How would he "get the word out"?

What difficulties would be faced?

How would you proceed if it were you?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only offer my limited second year opinion. You'd have to type up a fancy research paper and send it into an expert comittee for review. If they are pleased they would publish it and go on from there. The way to get the word out is through journals, which comittees must approve. You'd have to have strong evidence because you'd be criticized by phd holders.

I assume the same way a professional physicist would He would try publish a paper, try to get a poster spot at a conference, etc. The problem is that he wouldn't have a degree in physics so he'd probably be looked on a little skeptically. Also, having less connections in the field would make it harder for him to make his work known.

Personally, I'm working on becoming a professional physicist someday, so I don't have this trouble.

1. How can I make my breakthrough known as an amateur physicist?

There are several ways to make your breakthrough known. One option is to publish your findings in a scientific journal or conference. You can also create a website or blog to share your research with a wider audience. Another option is to reach out to other physicists or experts in the field and present your findings to them.

2. Do I need a formal education in physics to make a breakthrough?

No, a formal education in physics is not necessary to make a breakthrough. Many amateur physicists have made significant contributions to the field without a formal degree. However, having a solid understanding of scientific principles and methods can greatly aid in your research and the dissemination of your findings.

3. What should I do if I face skepticism or criticism about my breakthrough?

It is common for new ideas and breakthroughs to face skepticism and criticism, especially in the scientific community. The best way to address this is to provide evidence and data to support your findings. You can also seek feedback and collaboration from other scientists to strengthen your research.

4. How can I ensure that my breakthrough has a positive impact on the scientific community?

To ensure that your breakthrough has a positive impact, it is important to thoroughly research and test your findings before making them known. You should also be open to feedback and criticism from other experts in the field. Additionally, sharing your findings through reputable channels such as scientific journals or conferences can help to validate your breakthrough.

5. Is it possible for an amateur physicist to make a significant breakthrough?

Yes, it is possible for an amateur physicist to make a significant breakthrough. In fact, many groundbreaking discoveries have been made by amateurs throughout history. With dedication, passion, and a solid understanding of scientific principles, anyone can contribute to the advancement of physics and make a significant breakthrough.