Magnetic Stripe Readers, Plastic Bag Trick?

In summary, the magnetic stripe readers in credit/debit equipment work by reading the magnetic strip on a card and sending the data to the computer.
wirenut110
How do the magnetic stripe readers in credit/debit equipment work? I am more curious how placing the credit card inside a plastic bag then swiping it works? I see it all of the time out in the field and I don't understand it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you please describe in more detail what you are asking? Magnetic stripe readers work on the basic principle of magnetic induction:

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question503.htm

I have no idea what you are asking about with respect to the plastic bag -- perhaps some urban legend about spoofing magcard readers? Have you checked at snopes.com about it? Post a web link so we can see what you are asking about.

link

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19225752.500-money-bags.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't understand why you would need to ask us on this forum when the link you provided explains it fairly well. I have to admit I have never heard of this trick.

That link explains it just about as well as anyone could. The only thing that I might add is that if the reader is contaminated with dust or something, the plastic might wipe it clean ahead of the card's passage.
It's done quite frequently where I live.

I didn't know of the link until berkeman asked me to post it. I then googled "credit card plastic bag" and it popped up. Image that.

I was just curious because i see this a lot here in Florida and I never understood it. Now I'm wondering who started the trick! Cashier? or Engineer?

It might have started just from someone Scotch-taping a cracked card back together and discovering that it worked better than before. I seem to remember tape being used before bags.

Just a heads up for your guys, don't scotch tape your magnetic strip. Initially it works great but when you need to re-apply some more tape because it's now worn through, you end up pulling some of the magnetic strip off, rendering your card useless. The plastic bag method works well until you get another card.

Good point.

1. How do magnetic stripe readers work?

Magnetic stripe readers work by using a magnetic head to read the data encoded on the magnetic stripe of a card. The magnetic stripe contains tiny iron-based particles that are arranged in a specific pattern, which is read by the magnetic head and then translated into data by the reader.

2. What is the purpose of the plastic bag trick on magnetic stripe readers?

The plastic bag trick is used to prevent the magnetic stripe reader from being affected by static electricity. It involves wrapping the reader in a plastic bag to insulate it from any potential static charges, which can cause errors in reading the magnetic stripe.

3. Can magnetic stripe readers read all types of cards?

Magnetic stripe readers can only read cards that have a magnetic stripe, such as credit cards, debit cards, and ID cards. They cannot read cards with other types of technology, such as chip cards.

4. How accurate are magnetic stripe readers?

Magnetic stripe readers are highly accurate when used correctly. However, they can be affected by external factors such as dirt or damage to the magnetic stripe, which can cause errors in reading the data.

5. Are magnetic stripe readers still commonly used?

Yes, magnetic stripe readers are still commonly used, especially in industries like retail and banking. However, newer technologies such as chip cards and contactless payments are slowly replacing them in some cases.