Maximizing Your Workstation: DVI to VGA Adapters

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the workstation has two DVI slots, but the graphics card only supports VGA. So the user had to buy a monitor and cable.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Just got a new high-end workstation at work, but the graphiscs card has two DVI slots (new video HD protocol) and we have only VGA monitors at the moment. The builder should have used a card (XFX) with VGA and DVI slots. But what's done is done.

Mild inconvenience.

So I quickly learned that there are such things at DVI to VGA adapters, whereby the VGA monitor plugs into the VGA (female) end, and the DVI (male) end plugs into the DVI slot on the card.

DVI monitors are a little bit more expensive. Just something to consider when purchasing a new computer.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Remember the DVI-VGA converter doesn't actaully convert DVI-VGA.
The DVI standard has optionally the VGA signals on spare pins, the four extra pins alongside the sideways blade connector.

There is no requirement for the graphics card to have the VGA signal and it is often only present on a single output. It should be labelled DVI-I if it has both DVI(digital) and VGA(analog).

DVI to VGA adapters aren't too expensive (about $15 at best buy... possibly cheaper at (say) Dell).

So, are you going to run a dual-monitor setup?

robphy said:
So, are you going to run a dual-monitor setup?
Not at the moment. There is no need. The box was constructed with a card that had two DVI slots rather than one DVI and one VGA/SVGA slot on the same card.

Since we didn't have a DVI monitor, but only VGA, I was faced this morning with having to buy a monitor, since I called a couple of nearby places and the either didn't have a DVI-I adapter or didn't know what it was. :rolleyes:

But I found a DVI-I (Belkin) adapater (not converter) at Staples, which cost $30. That saved me a $60 DVI cable and ~$240 for a DVI monitor.

The workstation is essentially a computational engine for running simulations. We access it across a LAN for I/O, so we don't need a fancy monitor. The output is further processed on other machines.

1. What is a DVI to VGA adapter?

A DVI to VGA adapter is a small device that allows you to connect a computer with a DVI port to a monitor or display with a VGA port. It converts the digital signal from the DVI port to an analog signal that can be read by the VGA port.

2. Why would I need a DVI to VGA adapter?

You would need a DVI to VGA adapter if your computer has a DVI port and your monitor or display only has a VGA port. This is a common scenario for older monitors or displays that do not support digital connections.

3. How does a DVI to VGA adapter affect display quality?

A DVI to VGA adapter does not affect display quality as it only converts the signal from one format to another. However, if the DVI port on your computer supports a higher resolution than the VGA port on your monitor, the adapter may limit the display quality to the maximum resolution supported by the VGA port.

4. Are there different types of DVI to VGA adapters?

Yes, there are two types of DVI to VGA adapters: DVI-I to VGA and DVI-D to VGA. DVI-I to VGA adapters are compatible with both DVI-I and DVI-A ports, while DVI-D to VGA adapters are only compatible with DVI-D ports. It is important to check the type of DVI port on your computer before purchasing an adapter.

5. Can I use a DVI to VGA adapter for dual monitor setup?

Yes, you can use a DVI to VGA adapter for dual monitor setup, but only if your computer has two DVI ports. You can connect one monitor to the DVI port and the other to the adapter, which is then connected to the VGA port. However, if you only have one DVI port, you will need to use a different type of adapter, such as DVI to HDMI or DVI to DisplayPort, for the second monitor.