Improving problem solving skills?

In summary, the speaker, a 4th year undergraduate physics major, has realized that their previous approach of simply copying example patterns and looking for a systematic way to solve problems will not lead them to success. They believe that problem solving is where the fun in physics lies and that experience and practice are crucial in becoming better at it. The speaker also mentions the importance of adopting a curious and excited attitude, similar to that of Richard Feynman, in order to excel in physics and mathematics.
audreyh
I'm a 4th year undergraduate physics major and I've realized too much of my college career have I just tried to get to the answer, copy example patterns, and look for a systematic way to solve problems. I realize this will get me nowhere; problem solving is where the physics fun is!

What sort of mental process do you go about when approaching problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
1.Read question
2.Think very hard
3.Write down the answer

dontdisturbmycircles said:
1.Read question
2.Think very hard
3.Write down the answer

That only works when your name is Richard Feynman.

I realize this will get me nowhere; problem solving is where the physics fun is!

IMO, experience and practice in solving problems is what makes you better at solving problems.

siddharth said:
That only works when your name is Richard Feynman.

You mean problems can't be solved by just thinking unless your name is Richard Feynman? :P (I know, the original quote is about Richard Feynman. :-p)

audreyh said:

You mention problem solving and right away people think "Feynman".

My take on why he was so good at it was his attitude: he actually wanted to understand things to satisfy his own curiosity. He didn't view any of the myriad puzzles he solved during his life as "problems": irritating tasks to be fought with. To him all that kind of stuff was exiting, even exhilarating.

I am not sure a person can adopt that attitude artificially in order to be good at physics or math. The curiosity and exitement have to be natural.

Try chess. It opens your mind to all logical possibilities. It also exposes the chinks in your logical armor and humbles you. Can't ask much more from a simple game.

1. How can I improve my problem solving skills?

There are several ways to improve your problem solving skills, including practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller parts, and seeking guidance from others. It is also important to think critically and creatively when approaching a problem and to reflect on your problem solving process afterwards.

2. Can problem solving skills be taught?

Yes, problem solving skills can be taught and developed through various methods such as interactive activities, case studies, and workshops. It is important to actively engage in these learning opportunities and practice problem solving regularly to see improvement.

3. What are some common barriers to effective problem solving?

Some common barriers to effective problem solving include lack of clear understanding of the problem, limited knowledge or resources, and fear of failure. It is important to identify and address these barriers in order to effectively solve problems.

4. How can I apply problem solving skills in my daily life?

Problem solving skills can be applied in various aspects of daily life, such as in personal relationships, decision making, and work tasks. By actively practicing problem solving and being open-minded, you can approach challenges more effectively and find more successful solutions.

5. Are problem solving skills important in the workplace?

Yes, problem solving skills are highly valued in the workplace as they allow individuals to identify and address challenges and come up with effective solutions. Employers often seek candidates with strong problem solving skills, as it can contribute to the overall success and productivity of a team or organization.