Transistor CE Amplifier

In summary, the problem at hand is to design a CE amplifier with a gain of 10 using a 2n3906 transistor and a 20 V power supply. There are four unknown resistors and one capacitor that need to be calculated. The necessary components include a voltage divider, collector resistor, emitter resistor, and a capacitor parallel to the emitter resistor. The calculations involve using BJT PNP transistor formulas to work backwards from the desired gain and ensuring a full emitter bypass. The collector and emitter resistors must be calculated in relation to the gain and voltage drop, respectively. The base current and voltage can be calculated using the transistor's parameters and the voltage divider must provide the base voltage. To prevent significant base current, the current through
Sculptured
Alright, I've been stuck on this problem for my electronics class for far too long.

" Design a CE amplifier with a gain of 10 using a 2n3906 transistor and a 20 V power supply. Calculate the required resistor and capacitor values for the circuit, assuming a minimum frequency of 10 Hz."

It turns out that there are four unknown resistors and one capacitor (if I'm thinking correctly). The voltage divider, the collector resistor, the emitter resistor, and the capacitor parallel to the emitter resistor. With such little information, at least for me, I'm completely lost on where to even begin to relate these values. Everything I've thought up so far has constantly interwoven the unknown values, given me new ones, and never enough equations to solve them all. Any help at all is appreciated in even getting started down the right path.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well 2N3906 is a BJT PNP transistor right?

So gather your BJT PNP transistor formulas and work backwards from the gain of 10.
This looks sounds like a voltage divider bias with a full emitter bypass.

I don't remember the formulas by heart but make a list and I'll see what I can add to it from my notes.

Last edited:
The collector resistor is related to the gain. The emitter resistor is calculated in order that the voltage drop across it is much greater than the base-emitter voltage. With a 20 V power supply you can make the voltage drop around 5 V.
Calculate the base current from the collector current and the transistor's parameters. Calculate the base voltage from the emitter voltage and the base-emitter voltage.
The voltage divider must provide the base voltage. In order for the base current not to be significant, make the current through the divider 10 to 20 times greater.

1. What is a transistor CE amplifier?

A transistor CE (common emitter) amplifier is an electronic circuit that uses a transistor as the amplifying device. It is often used in audio and radio frequency applications to amplify weak signals.

2. How does a transistor CE amplifier work?

A transistor CE amplifier works by using the transistor as a switch to control the flow of current through the circuit. The input signal is applied to the base of the transistor, which then amplifies the signal and outputs it through the collector to the load.

3. What are the advantages of a transistor CE amplifier?

Some advantages of a transistor CE amplifier include high gain, low input impedance, low output impedance, and small size. It also offers good linearity and frequency response.

4. What are the different types of transistor CE amplifiers?

There are three main types of transistor CE amplifiers: common emitter, common collector, and common base. Each type has its own unique characteristics and applications, but all use the same basic circuit configuration.

5. How is a transistor CE amplifier different from other types of amplifiers?

A transistor CE amplifier differs from other types of amplifiers, such as op-amp and FET amplifiers, in the way it is built and operates. It uses a single transistor as the amplifying element, whereas other amplifiers may use multiple transistors or different types of amplifying devices.