Kepler's First Law: Exploring Its Derivation and Problems

In summary: With two objects of different masses, the potential energy of their interaction depends on the product of their masses.
UJS
The textbook I'm using states Kepler's first law in the following form: all planets move in elliptical paths with the sun at one of the foci. If I'm understanding this claim correctly, I've got some problems with it..

This conclusion was reached using a potential that depends only on the distance between the two objects. In that case (no external forces), the center of mass of the two-body system shouldn't accelerate. But with one stationary object and another circling around it, this can never be the case. It seems like an approximation in which one of the two objects (the sun) is much more massive than the other, but I don't see that assumption appearing anywhere in the derivation.

The kinetic energy is first expressed in terms of the velocity of the center of mass and the relative velocity of the objects. In polar coordinates the Lagrangian leads to three equations of motion, and filling in the 1/r potential immediately gives elliptical paths.

What's going on?

Science news on Phys.org
UJS said:
The textbook I'm using states Kepler's first law in the following form: all planets move in elliptical paths with the sun at one of the foci. If I'm understanding this claim correctly, I've got some problems with it..

This conclusion was reached using a potential that depends only on the distance between the two objects. In that case (no external forces), the center of mass of the two-body system shouldn't accelerate. But with one stationary object and another circling around it, this can never be the case. It seems like an approximation in which one of the two objects (the sun) is much more massive than the other, but I don't see that assumption appearing anywhere in the derivation.
Yes, it is true that the "elliptic path" with the sun at one focus is based upon the approximation that the sun is much more massive than the orbiting body. It "appears" in the derivation with the assumption that the sun is a fixed point.

The kinetic energy is first expressed in terms of the velocity of the center of mass and the relative velocity of the objects. In polar coordinates the Lagrangian leads to three equations of motion, and filling in the 1/r potential immediately gives elliptical paths.

What's going on?
The "kinetic energy" of what? I suspect you mean the kinetic energy of the orbiting object. With the sun assumed stationary (typically at the origin of a coordinate system) then its kinetic energy is 0.

For two bodies with mass m1 and m2 respectively interacting via a central force, the problem separates into two single-particle problems, one involving a mass M=m1+m2 and one involving a "reduced mass" mu=m1m2/(m1+m2). The motion of particle 1 as viewed from particle 2 is the same as if particle 2 were fixed and particle 1 had mass mu. Kepler's law as stated in the textbook is a statement of what he observed. It is approximately true because the mass of the sun is so much larger than that of any single satellite.

UJS said:
This conclusion was reached using a potential that depends only on the distance between the two objects.

The potential has to be specifically proportional to -1/r, not just depend only on the distance.

What is Kepler's First Law?

Kepler's First Law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that all planets orbit around the sun in elliptical paths with the sun at one focus of the ellipse.

Who discovered Kepler's First Law?

Johannes Kepler, a German mathematician and astronomer, discovered and published his first law in 1609 as part of his work "Astronomia Nova."

How was Kepler's First Law derived?

Kepler's First Law was derived from observations made by Tycho Brahe, a Danish astronomer, who recorded the positions of planets in the night sky. Kepler used these observations to develop his three laws of planetary motion, with the first law being based on the shape of the planetary orbits.

What are some problems with Kepler's First Law?

While Kepler's First Law accurately describes the general shape of planetary orbits, it does not account for small variations in the orbits due to the gravitational pull of other planets and objects in the solar system. Additionally, it only applies to the motion of planets around the sun and does not account for the motion of other celestial bodies.

How does Kepler's First Law relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Kepler's First Law is based on observations of planetary motion, while Newton's Laws of Motion provide a theoretical explanation for the forces that govern the motion of objects in the solar system. Kepler's First Law can be seen as a precursor to Newton's Laws, as it describes the path of planetary motion without explaining the underlying forces.