Caffeine pills, are they a good idea?

In summary, caffeine is supposed to be beneficial to health in small quantities, but can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. Some people use "pick-ups" or caffeine pills to get a lot of caffeine, but those pills are no longer available over the counter. People have also considered adding caffeine to orange juice or other healthy drinks, but that idea has not been successful due to the presence of toxins. People who are addicted to caffeine should try to break the addiction and avoid caffeine altogether.
Ulysees
...for the addicts among us? I remember back in the early nineties there were what was called "pick-ups", or caffeine pills supposedly used by students, in order to ingest a lot of caffeine.

Do such pills still exist?

Has anyone thought of adding caffeine to orange juice or any other healthy drink, and make a much heathier substitute to coffee?

I remind you, in small quantities caffeine is supposed to be beneficial to health. The suspected cancer from large quantities of coffee is due to the toxins in it, not the caffeine.

Or you can't really isolate caffeine economically, and there will always be some toxins with it?

Biology news on Phys.org
Ulysees said:
...for the addicts among us? I remember back in the early nineties there were what was called "pick-ups", or caffeine pills supposedly used by students, in order to ingest a lot of caffeine.

Do such pills still exist?

I think "NoDoz" pills are still available over the counter.

Has anyone thought of adding caffeine to orange juice or any other healthy drink, and make a much heathier substitute to coffee?

That would be 'energy drinks' or 'fitness water'.

I remind you, in small quantities caffeine is supposed to be beneficial to health. The suspected cancer from large quantities of coffee is due to the toxins in it, not the caffeine.

Or you can't really isolate caffeine economically, and there will always be some toxins with it?

I believe that most caffeine used as an additive is extracted from coffee in the manufacture of decaffeinated coffee.

Caffeine inhibits calcium channels; if too much is ingested there will be cardiac problems. We have a bottle of caffeine in the lab (powder), it's treated as a hazardous chemical.

I'm with Andy on this one - too many people have the [tex]if (x= good) {10X = Great;}[/tex]
problem

If you are going to slip on the slope of 'is this drug good?', consider.

screw the caffeine. go coke ( the drug not the drink ;) ) all the way and be done with it.
j/k

Regular sleep wins in the healthy department. And seems to be better in keeping the memory.

There are statistics on caffeine being good in moderation. It's like red wine, it's only good in moderation. But from coffee's toxins, nothing good can come out of.

So if it tastes good, has no toxins, has no sugar or aspartame, has the right nutrients in it, is drunk in moderation, and keeps you alert in the morning, then it's got to be a good thing.

my parents and sister are hooked on caffine mints

1. What are caffeine pills?

Caffeine pills are supplements that contain a concentrated amount of caffeine, usually equivalent to one cup of coffee. They are typically used as a stimulant to increase alertness and energy levels.

2. Are caffeine pills safe?

When taken as directed, caffeine pills are generally considered safe for healthy adults. However, they can cause side effects such as jitteriness, anxiety, and increased heart rate. It is important to follow recommended dosage guidelines and avoid taking them too close to bedtime.

3. Do caffeine pills have any benefits?

Caffeine pills can provide a quick boost of energy and improve mental alertness. They may also enhance physical performance and reduce fatigue. Some studies have also shown potential benefits for conditions such as migraines and Parkinson's disease, but more research is needed.

4. Are there any risks associated with caffeine pill use?

Excessive use of caffeine pills can lead to negative side effects such as increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and difficulty sleeping. They can also be addictive and lead to caffeine dependence. People with certain medical conditions or those taking certain medications should consult a doctor before taking caffeine pills.

5. How do I know if caffeine pills are a good idea for me?

It is important to consider your individual health, medical history, and caffeine sensitivity before taking caffeine pills. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have a heart condition, or are prone to anxiety or insomnia, it may be best to avoid or limit caffeine pill use. It is always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement or medication.

Back