Supercritical Drying with Water

In summary: I'm not sure what the question is asking. Drying (e.g. of air) is usually done by condensing water. If one is referring to dry steam, then yes there are some superheated systems, and there is one advanced nuclear reactor design based on supercritical conditions. Supercritical drying is technically challenging, and I'm not sure if it's feasible for ordinary commercial applications.
NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do people do supercritical drying with water?

The critical temperature and pressure of water - about 375 C and 3500 PSI - don't really seem that high. Some silica aerogels apparently handle temperatures that are much higher than that, and typical oxygen bottles are at 2500 PSI so it seems like it should be possible to make aerogel with water as the drying gel solvent.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, I think it's really a matter of the heat capacity. The Cx (x = P or V) is really very much higher in water than in many industrial chemicals. Besides, to warm a liquid to about 650K is _very_ expensive. I wouldn't do it if the industry was about earning top dollar.

But my main concern is the pressure. Man, that is some really expensive thing you are about to build if your P = 250 bar. It will cost you dearly in manpower and time.

Sure, you will probably not do it at 250 bar, but even at 180 bar it will cost you a nickel and a dime.

It may be doable, but probably not economical.

NateTG said:
Do people do supercritical drying with water?

The critical temperature and pressure of water - about 375 C and 3500 PSI - don't really seem that high. Some silica aerogels apparently handle temperatures that are much higher than that, and typical oxygen bottles are at 2500 PSI so it seems like it should be possible to make aerogel with water as the drying gel solvent.
I'm not sure what the question is asking. Drying (e.g. of air) is usually done by condensing water.

If one is referring to dry steam, then yes there are some superheated systems, and there is one advanced nuclear reactor design based on supercritical conditions. It is however technically challenging!

With respect to oxygen (or most gases) bottles at 2500 psi, those are usually at room or low temperature.

The challenge is to find a material that has high strength for high pressure (3500 psi) at that temperature (375 C). The pressure vessel must be designed and manufacture to ASME B&PV (or equivalent) specifications. The structure must be free of flaws above a certain critical dimension, and the material must have low corrosion rates over some reasonable lifetime, e.g. 15-30 years.

Astronuc said:
I'm not sure what the question is asking. Drying (e.g. of air) is usually done by condensing water.

I'm interested in aerogel formation. Currently the processes seem to involve replacing the gel solvent with liquid carbon dioxide, and I was wondering if anyone had made a silica water gel, and supercritically dried it without going through the diffusion replacement process.

According to the ever-reputable Wikipedia, water becomes a potent oxidizer when it goes supercritical. This likely damages the material you're trying to dry more than simply drying by evaporation (which can cause damage because of surface tension) or freeze-drying (which leaves nice pores).

What is supercritical drying with water?

Supercritical drying with water is a method used to remove liquid from a material by subjecting it to conditions where water exists in a supercritical phase, meaning it has properties of both a gas and a liquid.

How does supercritical drying with water work?

In supercritical drying with water, the material is placed in a chamber with liquid water and heated above its critical temperature and pressure. This causes the water to become supercritical, and as it is in this state, it can penetrate the material and replace the liquid within it. As the pressure is gradually reduced, the water returns to a gas phase and evaporates, leaving the material dry.

What are the advantages of supercritical drying with water?

Supercritical drying with water has several advantages over other drying methods. It is a relatively gentle process, which means it can be used for delicate materials. It also allows for a more uniform drying process, resulting in a more consistent product. Additionally, supercritical drying with water is a more environmentally friendly option, as it does not require the use of harsh chemicals.

What types of materials can be dried using supercritical drying with water?

Supercritical drying with water can be used for a wide range of materials, including biological samples, ceramics, polymers, and pharmaceuticals. It is particularly useful for materials that are sensitive to high temperatures or may be damaged by other drying methods.

Are there any limitations to using supercritical drying with water?

While supercritical drying with water has many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. It can be a time-consuming process, and it requires specialized equipment and expertise. Additionally, not all materials can be dried using this method, as some may not be compatible with the high temperatures and pressures involved.