How to get a Fnet vs. time graph from a velocity vs time graph.

In summary, to find a Fnet vs time graph from position, velocity, or acceleration vs time graphs, you can use the slope of the position graph to find velocity and the slope of the velocity graph to find acceleration. To find net force, multiply the acceleration by the mass of the object being studied. The variable on the y-axis would be net force.
t00kool
How do you find a Fnet vs time graph from either a position vs time graph, Velocity vs time, or Acceleration vs time. I know how to find Velocity vs time to position and vice versa. since the slope of the position graph tells you the velocity. I can find a acceleration from Velocity. Since slope of velocity gives you acceleration. But how do you do this find a Fnet vs. time graph from Velocity vs Time. What would the varaible even be on the y axis.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the acceleration you have in your Acceleration vs Time graph is the net acceleration, just multiply the acceleration by the mass of whatever it is you are studying to get a Net Force vs Time graph. F=ma ;).

To get a Fnet vs. time graph from a velocity vs. time graph, you will need to use the equation Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. You can find the acceleration from the velocity vs. time graph by calculating the slope of the line at any given point. Once you have the acceleration, you can plug it into the equation Fnet = ma to find the net force at that point in time. Repeat this for multiple points and plot the net force values on the y-axis against the corresponding time values on the x-axis to get a Fnet vs. time graph.

If you have a position vs. time graph, you can still use the equation Fnet = ma by first finding the acceleration from the velocity vs. time graph as mentioned above. Then, you can use the equation a = Δv/Δt to calculate the change in velocity over a certain time interval. Finally, plug this value of acceleration and the mass into the equation Fnet = ma to find the net force at that point in time. Again, repeat this for multiple points and plot the net force values against time to get a Fnet vs. time graph.

Similarly, if you have an acceleration vs. time graph, you can find the net force at each point by using the equation Fnet = ma and plotting the values on a Fnet vs. time graph.

In summary, to find a Fnet vs. time graph from a velocity vs. time graph, you will need to use the equation Fnet = ma and calculate the net force at different points in time by finding the acceleration from the velocity vs. time graph. The variable on the y-axis of the Fnet vs. time graph will be the net force, measured in Newtons (N).

1. How do I convert a velocity vs. time graph into a Fnet vs. time graph?

To get a Fnet vs. time graph from a velocity vs. time graph, you will need to use the equation Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. Once you have this equation, you can plot the values of Fnet for each corresponding time point on your velocity vs. time graph to get your Fnet vs. time graph.

2. Do I need to know the mass of the object to create a Fnet vs. time graph?

Yes, in order to accurately plot the values of Fnet on your graph, you will need to know the mass of the object. This is because the equation Fnet = ma requires the mass of the object as a variable.

3. Can I use any velocity vs. time graph to create a Fnet vs. time graph?

Yes, you can use any velocity vs. time graph to create a Fnet vs. time graph as long as the velocity data is accurate. However, it is important to note that the Fnet vs. time graph will only be accurate if the velocity data is also accurate.

4. How do I label the axes on a Fnet vs. time graph?

The x-axis on a Fnet vs. time graph represents time, so you can label it as "Time (s)". The y-axis represents Fnet, so you can label it as "Net Force (N)". It is also important to include a title for your graph, such as "Fnet vs. Time for Object X".

5. Can I use a Fnet vs. time graph to determine the acceleration of an object?

Yes, you can use a Fnet vs. time graph to determine the acceleration of an object. The slope of the line on the graph represents the acceleration, so you can use the slope formula (rise/run) to calculate the acceleration. The units for the slope will be m/s^2, which is the standard unit for acceleration.