Learn How to View .he5 Files Easily | NASA NOAA Ozone Data Guide

• Thread starter Astroman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation is about how to obtain ozone data from the NASA NOAA website for a project. The user is struggling to view a .he5 file and is seeking help on how to extract and view the data. They eventually find a program called HDFView that can read these types of files.
Astroman
How to view .he5 file??

Not sure if this is the right place in the forum to ask this question. If it isn't, feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

I am trying to obtain some data from the NASA NOAA website for a project I am working on, namely some ozone data from this page:

http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/whom/mk_page_cgi.pl?PATH=datapool/MLS_DP/Level2.002/ML2O3/2008/06/06 [Broken]

I checked where it said 'select' in the data file box, then narrrowed down my spatial setting to the region where I needed the data. After clicking the 'submit subset request' I reach a page that has this:

Subsetted Data Download Instructions:

Single file download: click on the file: MLS-Aura_L2GP-O3_v02-23-c01_2008d158.SUB.he5

Multiple file download:
Download the FTP_script: order_21205.txt
On SGI or Linux machine, run: ftp -p -n acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov < order_21205.txt
On DOS, SunOS or Windows/Mac platforms, run: ftp -n acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov < order_21205.txt

My question is, how does one view a .he5 file?? I have never seen this before. Additionally, this page attempts to offer assitance but I have no idea what it is telling me to do:

http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/datapool/HELP/DATAPOOL/A_access_data.shtml

Can anyone offer any help as to how to extract and view this data?? Or if possible, can someone just extract it and paste it here? Thanks for any help you can give me, this is sort of important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

The page just describes how to downloadthe files from ftp - useful advice for 1990 but less so now.

googling ".he5 file" the first two hits gives papers describing the file format, it looks like you will have to write something to extract the data.
Odd that they should use such an opaque binary file format when there are already NASA standards like FITS for this sort of thing.

Thanks. Managed to download a program called HDFView that reads those kinds of files directly. I guess the latest creation of the Hierarchical Data Format for Earth Observing System related data, or the so-called "he5" data file, is used by NASA in instances where there is a lot of data that would otherwise create a prohibitively large sized file. Who knows, who really cares. Just glad I found a program to read it.

Moved to "computers" since I think it fits best here.

1. What is a .he5 file?

A .he5 file is a Hierarchical Data Format (HDF) file that is used to store and organize large amounts of scientific data, such as satellite data. It is commonly used by organizations like NASA and NOAA to store ozone data.

2. How do I open a .he5 file?

To view a .he5 file, you will need software that is capable of reading HDF files. One option is to use the HDFView software, which is available for free from the HDF Group website. Other software, such as ENVI, also has the capability to open .he5 files.

3. Can I view .he5 files on any operating system?

Yes, .he5 files can be viewed on most operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, you will need to have the appropriate software installed on your computer in order to view the files.

4. What kind of data can I find in .he5 files?

.he5 files can contain various types of data, depending on their purpose. In the case of NASA and NOAA ozone data, the files may contain information such as ozone concentration levels, temperature, and other atmospheric variables collected by satellites.

5. Are there any tutorials available for learning how to view .he5 files?

Yes, there are many resources available online for learning how to view .he5 files. The HDF Group website offers tutorials and user guides for their HDFView software, and there are also many tutorials and forums available for learning how to view and analyze HDF files in general.

Back