Distance between point-plane & plane-plane

• Thread starter Damascus Road
  • Start date
In summary: If you get 0 the point is on the plane. If you get a non-zero number, the point is not on the plane. And, yes, the dot product of two vectors is 0 if and only if the vectors are perpendicular.
Damascus Road
Greetings,

If I have two planes,

2x - y + 5z = 4 and -4x + 2y - 10z = 5

can I give the distance between them by simply subtracting their points?
(8x,-3y-5z) ?

(I intended to set this up so that they do not intersect, I hope I did that correctly).

Furthermore, can anyone shed some light on why the distance formula for a point - plane is

[tex]D= \frac{| ax_{o} + by_{o} + cz_{o} + d |}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2} + c^{2}}}[/tex]

where a,b,c,d are points on the plane and x,y,z are the point coordinates?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! "Easy" meaning, what I did is correct? Thanks for that article also.

Since any point on one of theplanes must satisfy the plane equation you could simply find a point on that plane and then use the point-plane equation you find in the second part

Damascus Road said:
Greetings,

If I have two planes,

2x - y + 5z = 4 and -4x + 2y - 10z = 5

can I give the distance between them by simply subtracting their points?
(8x,-3y-5z) ?
Obviously, that depends on x, y, and z and is not "the" distance. (Oh, and 2-(-4)= 6, not 8.) As has been said, two planes do not intersect if and only if they are parallel but choosing any point in one plane, there exist an infinite number of distance from that point to points in the other plane. "The" distance from one object to another is always defined as the minimum distance (or infimum) from points in one to the other. It is easy to see that the minimum distance from one plane to a parallel plane is along the perpendicular (use the Pythagorean theorem). In your example, since the vector <-4, 2, -10>= -2<2, -1, 5> is normal to the plane we can get a perpendicular line from it.
1) Choose any point in the first plane. If I take z= 0, x= 1, then 2- y= 4 or y= -2. (1, -2, 0) is a point in the plane.

2) Write the equation of the line through that point having normal vector to the plane as direction vector: x= 1+ 2t, y= -2- t, z= 5t are the parametric equations of a line through (1, -2, 0) perpendicular to the plane.

3) Find where that line intersects the second plane. That is, replace x, y, and z in the second equation by those parametric values: (-4)(1+ 2t)+ 2(-2-t)-10(5t)= 5. That is, -4- 8t- 4- 2t- 50t= -60t- 8= 5 so -60t= 13 and t= -(13/60). The point at which the line, through (1, -2, 0), perpendicular to the first plane, intersects the second plane is given by putting t= -13/60 in the parametric equations. Once you have that second point, calculate the distance between the two points.

(I intended to set this up so that they do not intersect, I hope I did that correctly).

Furthermore, can anyone shed some light on why the distance formula for a point - plane is

[tex]D= \frac{| ax_{o} + by_{o} + cz_{o} + d |}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2} + c^{2}}}[/tex]

where a,b,c,d are points on the plane and x,y,z are the point coordinates?

Thank you!
Again, by "distance between a point and a plane" we mean the shortest distance from that point to any point in the plane- and again that is along the line perpendicular to the plane. I will assume that you mean the point is given by (x0, y0, z0) and the plane is ax+ by+ cz+ d= 0.
Then <a, b, c> is a vector perpendicular to the plane and a line through (x0, y0, z0) perpendicular to the plane is given by x= x0+ at, y= y0+ bt, z= z0+ ct. That intersects the plane when a(x0+at)+ b(y0+ bt)+ c(z0+ ct)+ d= 0.

Multiplying that out, ax0+ a2t+ by0+ b2t+ cz0+ c2t= 0 so (a2+ b2+ c2
)t= -(ax0+ by0+ cz0+ d).

Now solve for t, put it into the parametric equations to find the point at which the line intersects the plane and find the distance between those two points.

Thanks a lot HallsofIvy, sorry If I'm being a bit slow here...

HallsofIvy said:
Then <a, b, c> is a vector perpendicular to the plane and a line through (x0, y0, z0) perpendicular to the plane is given by x= x0+ at, y= y0+ bt, z= z0+ ct.

At this point, any line can be represented by those right? Not just those perpendicular to the plane...

HallsofIvy said:
That intersects the plane when a(x0+at)+ b(y0+ bt)+ c(z0+ ct)+ d= 0.

This is because the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is 0, yes?

Damascus Road said:
Thanks a lot HallsofIvy, sorry If I'm being a bit slow here...

At this point, any line can be represented by those right? Not just those perpendicular to the plane...
At any point a line can be represented by x= x0+ at, y= y0+ bt, z= z0+ ct. That line is perpendicular to the plane if and only if <a, b, c> is the normal to the plane which is the same as saying the plane is given by ax+ by+ cz= constant.

This is because the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is 0, yes?
That is because you can put the x, y, z, values of the point into the equation of the plane.

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between a point and a plane?

The formula for calculating the distance between a point and a plane is: d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a2 + b2 + c2), where (x0, y0, z0) is the coordinates of the point, and a, b, c, and d are the coefficients in the equation of the plane (ax + by + cz + d = 0).

2. How do you find the distance between a point and a plane in 3-dimensional space?

To find the distance between a point and a plane in 3-dimensional space, you can use the formula: d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a2 + b2 + c2). This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem.

3. Can the distance between a point and a plane be negative?

No, the distance between a point and a plane is always positive. This is because the distance is calculated as the absolute value of the result of the formula: d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a2 + b2 + c2).

4. How is the distance between two planes calculated?

The distance between two planes can be calculated by finding the shortest distance between any two points on the two planes. This can be done by finding the perpendicular distance from one plane to the other using the formula: d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a2 + b2 + c2), where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on one plane, and a, b, c, and d are the coefficients in the equation of the other plane (ax + by + cz + d = 0).

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating the distance between a point and a plane or between two planes?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of calculating the distance between a point and a plane or between two planes. For example, in aviation, the distance between a plane and the runway is crucial for safe landing. In engineering, the distance between a point and a plane is used to determine the clearance between two objects. In architecture, the distance between two planes is important for designing and constructing structures. These are just a few examples of the numerous applications of this concept in various fields.