What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
Char. Limit said:
...with the divorce rate as high as it is, you are more likely than not to have your marriage fail...
Not so bad really, considering the only other end to a marriage is death...

:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, don't marriage vows include "till death do us part"?

With that part, a marriage ending in death is a "success".

Marraige -only here is dying considered a success.

Char. Limit said:
I am laughing at this entire argument...
It's a silly argument, but nerds will argue most anything. Especially on the internet.

Good signature, by the way, Dave. That song always got on my nerves a little.

Magellan7t said:
It's a silly argument, but nerds will argue most anything. Especially on the internet.

Ironically, things tend to go much more smoothly over a beer :P A bit of direct experience with the other person works mini-wonders, and you tend to be a bit more empathic :devil:

Hatfield & all, 1966:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~elaineh/13.pdf

this is an older study, but the conclusions are nevertheless interesting.

It basically concludes that the only strong predictor of the desire to date again after a initial date is physical attractiveness. (other factors considered where intelligence, personality, self acceptance).

Intelligent, responsible, and down to Earth girls are so awesome!

rootX said:
Intelligent, responsible, and down to Earth girls are so awesome!

I prefer astronauts myself.

MotoH said:

If you marry one, you can safely say that you cornered the market :P

MotoH said:

I was talking about a girl in arts in particular. Profession doesn't seem to matter IMO.

rootX said:
I was talking about a girl in arts in particular. Profession doesn't seem to matter IMO.

Let's stereotype , for the fun of it. Artists are anything but: down to Earth & responsible.

DanP said:
Hatfield & all, 1966:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~elaineh/13.pdf

this is an older study, but the conclusions are nevertheless interesting.

It basically concludes that the only strong predictor of the desire to date again after a initial date is physical attractiveness. (other factors considered where intelligence, personality, self acceptance).

yeah, i haven't decided if i want to invest in reading it all, but it would have been nice if they had supplied a set of curves based on the data to compare to the theoretical curves in fig. 1.

DanP said:
Let's stereotype , for the fun of it. Artists are anything but: down to Earth & responsible.

Why would you want to do that? For the fun of it?

GeorginaS said:

Because its spot on for every artist I know.

GeorginaS said:

MotoH said:

Hrm. I'll have to think about that.

GeorginaS said:

Yeah, playing with stereotypes is funny. The thing is , while they are simplified conceptions of groups(and hence useless to infer anything about an individual) , many (but not all) hold true. Ill let the statement OP (and you) decide if this one holds any water

Last edited:
MotoH said:

Usually stereotyping is wrong, but this is so true.

Proton Soup said:
yeah, i haven't decided if i want to invest in reading it all, but it would have been nice if they had supplied a set of curves based on the data to compare to the theoretical curves in fig. 1.

I prefer girls that come supplied with a set of curves, too.

I think it must be related to my interest in math.

BobG said:

I think it must be related to my interest in math.

0.7 waist-to-hips ratio ftw

Proton Soup said:
0.7 waist-to-hips ratio ftw

I laughed at that.

BobG said:

I prefer women who fancy jumping in bed with me.

DanP said:
I prefer women who fancy jumping in bed with me.
Girls don't fancy guys who say fancy.

. . .Wait shiiii

MotoH said:

. . .Wait shiiii

O god, we are both in deep poo then :P

MotoH said:

. . .Wait shiiii

I think plenty like Eddie Izzard. He says "fancy" and wears womens clothes even.

This isn't a "checklist"...just some rough guidelines:

1. Smart (okay this is a checkmark :wink: no dummies allowed in my 2-person treehouse.)
2. Ambitious - knows what she wants, and will not settle for less.
3. Interested in science, and stuff other than science.
4. Down to earth; not stuck up.
5. Isn't clingy... I mean... being a little clingy is expected from women... but if she's being clingy to the point of aggravation (like herpes), she probably has self-esteem issues.
6. Appreciates the simpler, finer things in life (like some Chinese food and an ice-cold diet mountain dew -_-).
7. Morally upright.
8. Socially libertarian, economically conservative.
9. Not a stone-cold fox (though that's always nice :biggrin:), but takes care of her body - has a healthy weight and eating habits, doesn't drink in excess, exercises regularly, and doesn't smoke.
10. Can take of herself. (A girl that can double as a shooting buddy... :!))

(kind of sad the last time I posted here was ages ago and still in this same discussion)

I don't think it needs to be such a long check list. What *most* guys want, nerdy or otherwise, is pretty simple:
-Beauty
-Brains
-Great sense of humour/ability to make fun of themselves

(the order changes with level of nerdiness)

Point in case: http://individual.utoronto.ca/sck/stpday.html"

SarahandGuinness2.jpg

SarahandGuinness1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm... love guinness

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyyixjR5vq1qz7lxdo1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
mmm... love guinness

[/PLAIN]

Beers are good, but I pretty much prefer an ice cold vodka, straight from the freezer. No rocks.

clustro said:
This isn't a "checklist"...just some rough guidelines:

1. Smart (okay this is a checkmark :wink: no dummies allowed in my 2-person treehouse.)
2. Ambitious - knows what she wants, and will not settle for less.
3. Interested in science, and stuff other than science.
4. Down to earth; not stuck up.
5. Isn't clingy... I mean... being a little clingy is expected from women... but if she's being clingy to the point of aggravation (like herpes), she probably has self-esteem issues.
6. Appreciates the simpler, finer things in life (like some Chinese food and an ice-cold diet mountain dew -_-).
7. Morally upright.
8. Socially libertarian, economically conservative.
9. Not a stone-cold fox (though that's always nice :biggrin:), but takes care of her body - has a healthy weight and eating habits, doesn't drink in excess, exercises regularly, and doesn't smoke.
10. Can take of herself. (A girl that can double as a shooting buddy... :!))

O my god :bugeye:

DanP said:
Beers are good, but I pretty much prefer an ice cold vodka, straight from the freezer. No rocks.

A woman who drinks straight vodka may be a little too much for me... wait... now that I think of it I think I did date a girl who drank straight vodka. She was fun.

clustro said:
... being a little clingy is expected from women...
:bugeye:

DaveC426913 said:
:bugeye:

Ditto.

I didn't care if a girl shared my interests in science. If she enjoyed live and recorded music (especially rock and blues), and my tastes in poetry and literature, we could get along. If she shared my interests in food, baking, sauce-making, etc., we could sort out the remaining differences.

In college, I was infatuated for a while with a young lady that had suffered a breakdown and returned to school a year later. She was a dedicated and competent (though not talented) folk musician. Very pretty, and way too fragile and high-maintenance for a new engineering student to handle.

DanP said:
O my god :bugeye:

What? What's wrong with what I said? :/

clustro said:
What? What's wrong with what I said? :/

I think it was this...
ice-cold diet mountain dew
:-p