Solve for di: Negative Effect on Object Distance?

• Thread starter Grekory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, to solve for di in the given problem, the formula -di/do = hi/ho can be used, and the negative value for di indicates an inverted image.
Grekory
When I'm given do, ho, and hi. How would i solve for di
Normally i would do -di/do = hi/ho and cross-multiply but I'm not sure how the negative comes into effect.

do = object distance
di = image distance
ho = object height
hi = image height

If...

ho = 3cm
hi = 4cm
do = 5cm

What would be di?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide the complete statement of the problem you are trying to solve. (I presume that a negative image height means that the image is inverted.)

It's just made up values and i want to know how i would solve for di. The negative in the formula confuses me

Start with:
-di/do = hi/ho

You can solve for di by cross-multiplying if you like, or just multiply both sides by -do. As I said before, a negative value for di just means that the image is inverted. (Real images are inverted.)

1. What is the negative effect on object distance?

The negative effect on object distance is a decrease in the distance between an object and the observer or camera. This can result in a smaller or distorted image of the object.

2. What causes a negative effect on object distance?

A negative effect on object distance can be caused by factors such as the lens used, the focal length, and the positioning of the object in relation to the observer or camera. It can also be affected by the size and shape of the object.

3. How does a negative effect on object distance impact image quality?

A negative effect on object distance can decrease the sharpness and clarity of an image, as well as introduce distortions and changes in perspective. This can result in a lower quality or less accurate representation of the object in the image.

4. Can a negative effect on object distance be corrected?

In some cases, a negative effect on object distance can be corrected by adjusting the camera settings, such as changing the focal length or using a different lens. However, in certain situations, such as when the object is too far or too close to the observer, the negative effect may not be able to be completely eliminated.

5. How can a negative effect on object distance be minimized?

To minimize the negative effect on object distance, it is important to carefully consider the camera settings and positioning of the object. Using a suitable lens and adjusting the focal length can also help to reduce the impact. Additionally, proper lighting and a stable camera setup can also help to minimize the negative effect on object distance.