Finding Laurent Series & Convergence Region: f(x)=1/(z^2+1)

In summary: Laurent series is\frac{1}{1+z^2} = \frac{A}{z-i} + \frac{B}{2i} * \sum_{n=0}^\infty{[(\frac{-1}{2i})^n * (z-i)^n]}and it converges for0 < |z-i| < 2.In summary, the problem is to find the Laurent series for \frac{1}{1+z^2} around z_0=i and determine the precise region of convergence. The Laurent series will be an expansion in powers of (z-i), and \frac{1}{1+z^2} can be written as \frac{
krindik
Hi,
can u pls help me on this?

Homework Statement

Find Laurent series that converges for

[tex]
\, 0 < |z - z_0| < R }
[/tex] and determine precise region of convergance

[tex]
\, \frac {1}{z^2 + 1} \,\,

[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to spilt this into fractions
i.e
[tex]
f(x) \, = \, \frac{A}{z-i} + \, \frac{B}{z+i}

[/tex]

as I would have done for

[tex]
\frac {1}{z^2 - 1} \,\,

[/tex]

But in that case I would expand it with a geometrical series.
The problem rises with [tex] i [/tex] instead of [tex] 1 [/tex]

2. Homework Statement
Can u pls explain how can I choose the method of expansion (Laurent, Taylor) given a function f(x) ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
can't you just say [itex]w=z^2[/itex] then you can make

[itex]\frac{1}{w-1}=\frac{1}{w} \frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{w}}[/itex] and expand as a geometric series...

Thanks.

In fact the question is
[tex]

[/tex]

not

[tex]

\, \frac {1}{z^2 - 1} \,\,

[/tex]

I'll restate the question

Find Laurent series that converges for

[tex]

\, 0 < |z - z_0| < R }
[/tex]

and determine precise region of convergance for
[tex]

[/tex]

where
[tex]
z_0 = i
[/tex]
Additionally, I would like to know how u use [tex]

\, 0 < |z - z_0| < R }
[/tex]
in coming up with a solution

Last edited:
The Laurent series will be an expansion in powers of (z-i). Use your partial fractions form. The A/(z-i) is the (-1) power. Write the B/(z+i) part as B/(2i+(z-i)) and do the geometric series expansion with (z-i) as the variable.

why can we not just change variable here?

You can. Isn't that basically what I did when I wrote z+i=(z-i)+2i?

Thank you,

I have few questions
1. Is it that you choose [itex] (z - i) [/itex] terms because the question specifies it should converge in [itex] 0 < |z-i| < R [/itex] ?

2. So [itex]\frac{B}{z + i} [/itex] will be expanded like

[itex]\frac{1}{2i} * \frac{1}{1+\frac{z-i}{2i}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{s^n}[/itex]

where
[itex] s = \frac{z-i}{2i}[/itex]

so the answer to the solution would be
[itex]\frac{A}{z-i} + \{expansion\, in\, 2\}[/itex] ?

Thanks again

I chose (z-i) because you specified that you want to expand around z0=i in post 3. I couldn't tell where you wanted to put the expansion from the first post. And yes, you've got the expansion right.

Thank you very much Dick

I shall summarize here, so that anybody else following this thread can get the point.

[itex]
\frac{1}{1+z^2} = \frac{A}{z-i} + \frac{B}{z+i}
[/itex]

expand
[itex]
\frac{B}{z+i} = \frac{B}{2i} * \frac{1}{1-(-1 * \frac{z-i}{2i})}
[/itex]

then by expanding in geometric series
[itex]
\frac{1}{1-(-1 * \frac{z-i}{2i})} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty{[(\frac{-1}{2i})^n * (z-i)^n]}
[/itex]

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of mathematical series that represents a complex function as a sum of infinitely many terms, including both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is similar to a Taylor series, but with the addition of negative powers.

2. How do you find the Laurent series of a function?

To find the Laurent series of a function, you first need to determine the singularities (points where the function is undefined) of the function. Then, you can use the formula for the Laurent series, which involves taking the derivative of the function and plugging in the values of the singularities.

3. What is the convergence region of a Laurent series?

The convergence region of a Laurent series is the set of all complex numbers for which the series converges. This region can be determined by looking at the distance between the singularities of the function and the point at which the series is being evaluated.

4. How do you test for convergence of a Laurent series?

To test for convergence of a Laurent series, you can use the ratio test or the root test, which are both methods for determining if a series converges or diverges. These tests involve looking at the ratio or the root of the terms in the series and determining if they approach a finite value or not.

5. Can a Laurent series diverge at the point where it is evaluated?

Yes, a Laurent series can diverge at the point where it is evaluated if that point is a singularity of the function. In this case, the series will have an infinite number of terms and will not converge. It is important to determine the singularities of a function before evaluating its Laurent series to avoid this issue.