Finding net work done on an ideal gas.

In summary, an ideal gas with a gamma value of 1.4 undergoes adiabatic compression from 5.0 L to 2.0 L and then is cooled at constant pressure until it reaches 300 K. It is then allowed to expand isothermally back to its original state. The net work done on the gas is 18.5 LkPa.
estie

Homework Statement

An ideal gas with gamma = 1.4 occupies 5.0 L at 300 K and 130 kPa pressure and is compressed adiabatically until its volume is 2.0 L. It's then cooled at constant pressure until it reaches 300 K, then allowed to expand isothermally back to state A. Find the net work done on the gas.

Homework Equations

I used W=[(P_2)(V_2)-(P_1)(V_1)]/(1-gamma) for the adiabatic state, W=p(delta V) for the constant pressure state, and W=nRTln(V_2/V_1) for the isothermic state.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got -18 as my answer, but apparently it's wrong. Could it possibly be a mathematical error?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've gone over my equations multiple times and they don't seem to be incorrect. Adiabatic state: W=[(P_2)(V_2)-(P_1)(V_1)]/(1-gamma) = [(22.4kPa)(2.0L)-(130kPa)(5.0L)]/(1-1.4) = -18.4 LkPa Constant pressure state: W=p(delta V) = 130kPa(3.0L-2.0L) = 390 LkPa Isothermal state: W=nRTln(V_2/V_1) = (0.08206)(300K)(5.0L/2.0L) = 645.9 LkPa Net work done on the gas = -18.4 + 390 + 645.9 = 18.5 LkPa

I would like to commend you for using the correct equations to solve this problem. Your approach is correct, but it seems that there may be a mathematical error in your calculations. I would suggest double checking your calculations and units to ensure that they are correct. It may also be helpful to show your work so that any potential errors can be identified and corrected. Additionally, make sure to use the correct values for the ideal gas constant, R, and the number of moles, n, in your calculations. I hope this helps and good luck with your future problem solving!

1. What is net work done on an ideal gas?

The net work done on an ideal gas is the total amount of energy transferred to or from the gas during a thermodynamic process. It is a measure of the change in the gas's internal energy.

2. How is net work done on an ideal gas calculated?

The net work done on an ideal gas is calculated by taking the integral of the pressure-volume curve over the process. This can be represented by the equation W = ∫PdV, where W is the net work done, P is the pressure, and V is the volume.

3. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all directly proportional to each other. This means that an ideal gas does not have any intermolecular forces or volume, and its particles have no size.

4. How does the net work done on an ideal gas relate to its temperature?

The net work done on an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature, according to the ideal gas law. This means that as the temperature of an ideal gas increases, the net work done on it also increases, and vice versa.

5. Why is finding the net work done on an ideal gas important?

Calculating the net work done on an ideal gas is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in various thermodynamic processes. It is also a key factor in determining the efficiency of heat engines, which use gas as a working fluid.