Electric Field Intensity and Potential Difference

In summary, the man walked into an electric field with a small charged object that had a charged value of 4.2 E-6C. At a distance of 10m from the object, he noticed a force of 8.0 N on the object he is carrying.
Illuminitwit

Homework Statement

A man walks into an electric field with a small charged object that has a charged value of 4.2 E-6C. At a distance of 10m from the object that is responsible for the electric field, he notices a force of 8.0 N on the object he is carrying.

What is the electric field intensity?
What is the potential difference?

Homework Equations

E = kc(q/r^2)
F = kc(q1q2/r^2)
∆V = -Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

F = kc(q1q2/r^2)
8.0 = 9 E9 • (4.2 E-6 • q2) / 10^2
800 = 9 E9 • 4.2 E-6 • q2
800/(9 E9 • 4.2 E-6) = q2 = 2.1 E-2

E = kc(q/r^2)
E = 9 E9 • (4.2 E-6 / 10^2)
E = 378
Round to two significant figures:
E = 380

[Interesting, but unnecessary; F/E = q2]

∆V = -Ed
∆V = -380 • 10
∆V = -3800

I think the first set of equations where I used F were unnecessary.
The electric field intensity = 380 N/C.
The potential difference is = -3,800 Volts.

I really don't think I did this right. The numbers I ended up with look too large, and I don't know if volts are supposed to be negative. I don't understand what "q" is supposed to be. Is it the difference between q1 and q2? What's q0? Does it even have a real value? I went through all the material and it still doesn't make sense!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's late and I'm not sure if I'm looking at this properly, but I would just like to say to take another look at the equations for your electric field calculations.

There are two different charges in the problem, so be careful distinguishing which one is the "test charge" and which one is the "source charge". The same goes with the charges your using in your electric field equations.

I hope that helps.

E = Fe/q0

Is this approach correct?

(F/kc)r^2 = q
E = kc(q/r^2)
∆V = -Ed

q0 = 4.2 E -6?

By q0, do you mean the elementary charge?

If your still on this question:

You could actually use two approaches to calculate the electric field, you've given the equations. You might want to go over your notes a little more to gain some insight and, the potential difference looks right, but as for the negative, I'm not quite sure, sorry.

Anyhow, like I said before, distinguish between your test charge and your source charge, you seem to be mixing that up.

This "object that is responsible for the electric field" would be the source charge, the one in the question that's giving the force. So, the other would be the test charge.

As far as the equations go, E=Fe/q can be used, and so can E=kq1/r^2, but it requires more work. One thing to remember is that E=Fe/q is referring to the test charge, while E=kq1/r^2 is referring to the source charge.

And I'm not sure what q0 is referring too, but I don't believe you need it here anyways.

I would suggest you try both -- to make sure I'm right (I'm wrong as often as I'm right) -- and so you get some more practice and see the relationships a little better. And by the way, something you will probably kick yourself about, you did calculate the source charge to do the calculation the long way, but then you mixed up the charges when you went to solve for the electric field, so fe=kq1q2/r^2 isn't worthless here.

Hope I helped, good luck!

1. What is Electric Field Intensity?

Electric field intensity is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a particular point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the electric field.

2. How is Electric Field Intensity calculated?

Electric field intensity is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge placed in the electric field by the magnitude of the test charge. The equation is E = F/q, where E is electric field intensity, F is the force, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Electric Field Intensity?

The unit of measurement for electric field intensity is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. What is Potential Difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field. It is a measure of the work done in moving a unit charge from one point to another.

5. How is Potential Difference related to Electric Field Intensity?

Potential difference is directly related to electric field intensity. The electric field intensity at a point is equal to the negative of the gradient of the potential difference at that point. In other words, electric field intensity is the rate of change of potential difference with respect to distance.