Oddly Worded uniform probability Question

In summary, the conversation discussed the distribution function of Y, which is defined as the maximum of 1-X and X, given that X has a uniform distribution between 0 and 1. The conversation concluded that the probability density function of Y is uniform between 0.5 and 1, with two different cases depending on the value of X. The conversation also mentioned that the median, expected value, and variance of Y can be obtained from its distribution function.
Goalie_Ca
X has a uniform distribution of [0,1]
Y = h(x) = max(X,1-X)

question: pdf is what?

i think it is (x-a)/(B-A) = x , so for
pdf = x for x>0.5 and 1-x for x<0.5,

then part b is median, and part c is expected value and variance.

This is not a homework, but this is on a review sheet.

Physics news on Phys.org
When thinking about this type of question, one generally works with the distribution function first.

Note that max(M, N) <= y if and only if M<=y and N <=y. Thus

Pr(max(1-X, X)<=x)
=Pr(1-X<=x and X<=x)
=Pr(1-x<=X<=x)

note that when x<0.5, the RHS is larger than the LHS such that the probability equals zero. For 0.5<=X<=1, the probability is easily seen to be x-(1-x) = 2x-1. When x>1, the statement "1-x<=X<=x" is trivially true (as 0<=X<=1) so the probabiluity equals 1. Combining, (the F(y) be the distribution function of Y)

F(y) = 0 when y<0.5
= 2x-1 when 0.5<=y<=1
= 1 when y>1

From this one may obtain the density function and so on.

It looks to me that Y is uniformly distributed between .5 and 1. There are 2 cases, depending on x<.5 or x>.5. In the first case 1-x (the max) is uniform between .5 and 1, while in the second case x (the max) is uniform between .5 and 1.

If I've followed right you're saying that the pdf is uniform and is limited to [0.5,1]

Wong, I followed your logic after the first line.
I think i get what mathman is saying as well.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is an "Oddly Worded uniform probability Question"?

An "Oddly Worded uniform probability Question" is a type of mathematical problem that presents a scenario or situation in a confusing or unconventional way. It usually involves calculating the likelihood of a certain event occurring, given limited or unusual information.

2. How do you approach solving an "Oddly Worded uniform probability Question"?

The first step in solving an "Oddly Worded uniform probability Question" is to carefully read the question and identify the given information. Then, try to rephrase the question in a more straightforward manner and determine what is being asked. From there, use known probability principles and equations to calculate the desired outcome.

3. What are some common examples of "Oddly Worded uniform probability Questions"?

Some common examples of "Oddly Worded uniform probability Questions" include questions about coin flips, dice rolls, card draws, and other random events. These questions often involve unusual conditions or restrictions, making them more challenging to solve.

4. How can one improve their skills in solving "Oddly Worded uniform probability Questions"?

Like any other skill, solving "Oddly Worded uniform probability Questions" takes practice. To improve, it is important to familiarize yourself with different types of probability problems and their solutions. You can also try solving similar problems with varying levels of complexity to challenge yourself.

5. Why are "Oddly Worded uniform probability Questions" commonly used in scientific research?

"Oddly Worded uniform probability Questions" are commonly used in scientific research because they require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the scientific method. These types of questions also allow researchers to test different hypotheses and make predictions based on probability calculations.