Help on properties of solids such as ductility and malleability

In summary, Young's modulus is a measure of the material's stiffness and is important when choosing materials for certain applications.
The Dude 321
I simply do not understand what the young modulus is.

Help on properties of solids such as ductility and malleability would help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently doing A level physics. I do not understand searle's apparatus.

I do not understand the significance of young modulus.

The Dude 321 said:

It's just a ratio of the tensile stress/strain. Its kind of like a measure of the wire's stiffness.

The tensile stress is the force that is applied, perpendicular to the wire's cross section. The strain is simply the amount the wire extends by (beyond its natural length) divided by its natural (original) length.

The Dude 321 said:

I'm somewhat puzzled here. One know about a Searle's apparatus, but one does not understand it's function? Is this not covered in class or in one's textbook?

There is a relevant discussion here - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Applied_Science/Choosing_and_Using_Materials/Properties

Young's modulus is the coefficient that represents the amount of stress per unit strain when a material is 'elastically' deformed. The elastic range proceeds from no load (0 stress) to the 'yield stress'. When a material yields, it undergoes plastic (permanent) deformation.

Ductility relates to the elongation or stretching (under a tensile load) without breaking. The greater the material, the more ductile it is.

Malleability is somewhat related, but it has to do with the ability of a material to be deformed under compression without breaking or cracking.

Please refer to - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductility

http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/malleability.htm

Please read one's textbook.

I have, but you see, it does not go into any depth, there is simply a picture of it, not even a lebelled one. Furthermore, 'one's school is horrible, they don't actually teach anything here, so i have not done the experiment.

1. What is ductility?

Ductility is the ability of a solid material to be stretched or deformed without breaking. This property is often seen in metals such as gold and copper, which can be drawn into thin wires without breaking.

2. How is ductility measured?

Ductility is typically measured by the percent elongation or percent reduction in cross-sectional area of a material when it is pulled to its breaking point. A higher percentage indicates a more ductile material.

3. What is malleability?

Malleability is the ability of a solid material to be hammered, rolled, or pressed into thin sheets or shapes without breaking. This property is commonly found in metals such as aluminum and lead.

4. How does malleability differ from ductility?

Malleability and ductility are both properties that describe a material's ability to deform without breaking. The main difference is that malleability refers to a material's ability to be reshaped into a different form, while ductility refers to its ability to be stretched or drawn out into a wire.

5. What factors affect the ductility and malleability of a solid?

The ductility and malleability of a solid can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its composition and crystal structure, temperature, and the presence of impurities. For example, pure metals tend to be more ductile and malleable than alloys, and higher temperatures can increase their ductility and malleability.