REU Acceptance Deadlines: When to Follow Up on Your Application Status?

In summary, the person applied to several REU programs for the summer but has not received any response yet. They are wondering if there is a specific date when it would be appropriate to inquire about the status of their application. The person has checked the program websites but did not find any cutoff date. Another person suggests contacting the programs if no response has been received yet, as they received replies when they did the same.
penofguino
Hi,

I applied to a few REU programs for this summer, but I have not heard back from any of them yet. I know there is usually a rolling deadline as they fill all the slots in the REU, but is there some kind of date where it would be acceptable to call about the status of my application. I checked the websites of the programs I applied to and they did not list any cutoff date.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I emailed a few programs I applied to as early as a week after the application deadline, and they all gave me nice replies about when I could expect to hear back.

If you still haven't heard from any of them, I think it's a good idea for you to contact them to see what's up.

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to participate in research projects at various universities and institutions across the United States.

2. When are REU acceptance deadlines typically announced?

The specific dates for REU acceptance deadlines vary depending on the program and institution. However, most REU programs announce their acceptance deadlines in the early spring, usually between February and April.

3. Can students apply to multiple REU programs?

Yes, students are encouraged to apply to multiple REU programs in order to increase their chances of acceptance. However, it is important to carefully consider each program's specific requirements and deadlines before applying.

4. Is there a specific timeline for the REU application process?

While the application deadlines may vary, most REU programs have a similar timeline for their application process. This typically includes submitting an application, letters of recommendation, and transcripts by the deadline, followed by a period of review and selection by the program coordinators.

5. What happens if I miss the REU acceptance deadline?

If you miss the REU acceptance deadline, unfortunately, you will not be considered for the program. It is important to carefully track and meet all application deadlines in order to have the best chance at being accepted into an REU program.