Is Boltzman's Constant related to the Fine Structure Constant?

In summary, Boltzmann's Constant (k) and the Fine Structure Constant (α) are not directly related. The Fine Structure Constant is a dimensionless constant used to describe the strength of the electromagnetic force, while Boltzmann's Constant is a conversion factor used in thermodynamics. However, there may be some indirect connections between the two through equations involving other constants such as the electric charge (e) and the electric permittivity of free space (ε0). There is also some confusion and overlap between the use of the symbol "k" for both Boltzmann's Constant and the constant in Coulomb's Law, which has led to some misunderstandings. Overall, the two constants are not directly related, but they may have some
what_are_electrons
Is Boltzmann's Constant related to the Fine Structure Constant?

Is Boltzmann's constant related to the Fine Structure Constant and if so how?
Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's an interesting question, but what made you think they are related? I'd like to know if the Boltzman constant applies to particles and quantum stuff cause from my reading it applies to gas molecules in a state of equilibrium and involves entropy. Can anyone help a bit? I'm way outa my depth here.

For an ideal gas in which there are no electric forces between gas molecules I would say the answer is no.For real gases the answer is no because by the relation E =k x T if the fine structure constant changed
(and there is no evidence that it does!) then the electric forces between molecules would change, and the kinetic energy of molecules would change and therefore the temperature of molecules would change, but the energy would change in step and so k =E/T would give the same value of the Boltzmann constant (about 10^-23 JK^-1).

Last edited:
There is of course Einstein relation : [tex]\frac{D}{\mu}=\frac{kT}{e}[/tex] relating the diffusion coefficient [tex]D[/tex] and the mobility [tex]\mu[/tex] to the temperature [tex]T[/tex] involving Boltzmann's [tex]k[/tex] and the electric charge [tex]e[/tex].

Although it is a beautiful realtion, this does not involve the fine strucure constant :tongue2:

Also relevant is the fact that the fine-structure constant is dimensionless, while the Boltzmann constant is merely a conversion factor, depending on your choice of units.

So of hand, no, I don't think there is a relationship.

Is it true that Fine structure constant changes at higher energies, if so does anyone know why

humanino said:
There is of course Einstein relation : [tex]\frac{D}{\mu}=\frac{kT}{e}[/tex] relating the diffusion coefficient [tex]D[/tex] and the mobility [tex]\mu[/tex] to the temperature [tex]T[/tex] involving Boltzmann's [tex]k[/tex] and the electric charge [tex]e[/tex].

Although it is a beautiful realtion, this does not involve the fine strucure constant :tongue2:

The FSC = e*e / 4pi*epsilon(zero)*hbar*c

epsilon(zero) can be written in terms of mu(zero), so there is that avenue for interaction.

But, to tell the truth, the book I was reading and learning from had a typo in it and they used the term "k" for both the constant of Coulomb's law and the Boltzmann constant. For the Coulomb law equation they showed that k=1/4pi*alpha*epsilon(zero). The presence of the "alpha" caused me to ask this question.

Bottomline: Please take a look at the new thread I started in the General Physics section titled "Coulomb Force Law and the Fine Structure Constant - Variance? " which asks several questions about the Coulomb Law, the Fine Structure Constant and QED.

My apologies for the not realizing their error sooner.

1. Is Boltzman's Constant related to the Fine Structure Constant?

Yes, Boltzman's Constant (symbolized as k) is related to the Fine Structure Constant (symbolized as α) through the following equation: α = ke2/4πε0ħc, where e is the elementary charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and c is the speed of light. This equation describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between charged particles.

2. What is Boltzman's Constant?

Boltzman's Constant, also known as the Boltzman Constant, is a physical constant that relates the average kinetic energy of particles in a gas to its temperature. It is denoted by the symbol k and has a value of approximately 1.38 x 10-23 joules per kelvin (J/K) in the International System of Units (SI).

3. What is the Fine Structure Constant?

The Fine Structure Constant, also known as Sommerfeld's Constant, is a dimensionless quantity that describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between charged particles. It is denoted by the symbol α and has a value of approximately 1/137 or 7.297 x 10-3.

4. What is the significance of the relationship between Boltzman's Constant and the Fine Structure Constant?

The relationship between Boltzman's Constant and the Fine Structure Constant is significant because it helps to explain the behavior and properties of charged particles in a gas. It also plays a crucial role in various areas of physics, including thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and atomic physics.

5. How was the relationship between Boltzman's Constant and the Fine Structure Constant discovered?

The relationship between Boltzman's Constant and the Fine Structure Constant was first discovered by Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzman in the late 19th century through his studies of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. It was later refined and further developed by other scientists, including Arnold Sommerfeld, who gave it the name "Fine Structure Constant".