Air Pressure & Temperature: Is the Relationship Correct?

In summary: Thats the thing, it DOES displace those around it, hence "wind".Imagine the air as a bunch of balloons filled up that can be compressed or inflated, heated (wont melt), but let's keep the AMOUNT of air particles "n" the same. We then have idea gas law :PV ~ TSo if you increase the temp of one balloon, for its pressure to remain at equillibrium it increases its volume. This forces all the surronding balloons to shrink, which make them warmer, because as V drops, P increases and so does T. See, everything is trying to be in equillibrium, heat and pressure, so it balances itself out.
7bear
Higher the temperature, lower is the air pressure.
Lower the temperature, higher is the air pressure.

Are they right? If yes, why? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, I think that this is correct. A warm air mass will rise and expand. When this is happening over you, the local atmospheric pressure is therefore lower. I'm guessing it's simply because you have a less dense air mass over you. Therefore it weighs less and exerts less pressure. Come to think of it, it's like suddenly having fewer air molecules per unit volume. Just as if this were happening in a container, the pressure would decrease.

Likewise, a cooler air mass will sink and contract, becoming more dense. I'm quite sure that when that happens in your area, it's referred to as a high pressure system.

Is my assessment correct?

is this in a test tube, or the whole world?

you should give more deatail , casue this will leads to several answers

cepheid said:
In general, I think that this is correct. A warm air mass will rise and expand. When this is happening over you, the local atmospheric pressure is therefore lower. I'm guessing it's simply because you have a less dense air mass over you. Therefore it weighs less and exerts less pressure. Come to think of it, it's like suddenly having fewer air molecules per unit volume. Just as if this were happening in a container, the pressure would decrease.

Likewise, a cooler air mass will sink and contract, becoming more dense. I'm quite sure that when that happens in your area, it's referred to as a high pressure system.

Is my assessment correct?

Actually, the exact opposite is true about what you said. First of all, pressure increases with temperature, and increasing pressure or temperature causes density to go down. Hence why hotter air rises and cooler air sinks. In fact a "high pressure system" that they refer to in forcasts always have higher temperature, and low pressure systems always have lower temperature. According to the Ideal Gas Law...

[tex]PV = nRT[/tex]

Where P = pressure, V = volume, n = moles, R = ideal gas constant, and T = temperature
As you can see, when pressure increases if volume and moles is kept constant, then temperature must increase as well.

You can manipulate the equation to see the effects on density...

[tex]n = \frac{m}{MM}[/tex] Where m = mass, and MM = molar mass

[tex]PV = \frac{mRT}{MM}[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{DRT}{MM}[/tex] Where D = density

[tex]D = \frac{P(MM)}{RT}[/tex]

From this, it is clearly seen that if pressure is kept constant, increasing temperature must make density decrease

Actually, it is much easier to see the relationship between P, V, and T by using the Combined Gas law...

[tex]\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

See for yourself by pluging in numbers.

Last edited:
7bear said:
Higher the temperature, lower is the air pressure.
Lower the temperature, higher is the air pressure.

Are they right? If yes, why? :confused:

Actually, if you look at weather forecasts, its the other way around.

expscv said:
is this in a test tube, or the whole world?

you should give more deatail , casue this will leads to several answers

Yeah, actually. I'm really confused about this after reading everyone's answers. I admit I must have been wrong, but what I'd like to know is what's meant by high pressure and low pressure weather systems.

Classroom explanations are kind of weird because they talk of an "air mass" being warmed, expanding, rising, and cooling. I'd also like to know: if we're surrounded by a sea of air, what differentiates one particular air mass, and how can it "expand" without displacing air around it? :confused:

cepheid said:
Yeah, actually. I'm really confused about this after reading everyone's answers. I admit I must have been wrong, but what I'd like to know is what's meant by high pressure and low pressure weather systems.

Classroom explanations are kind of weird because they talk of an "air mass" being warmed, expanding, rising, and cooling. I'd also like to know: if we're surrounded by a sea of air, what differentiates one particular air mass, and how can it "expand" without displacing air around it? :confused:

Thats the thing, it DOES displace those around it, hence "wind".

Imagine the air as a bunch of balloons filled up that can be compressed or inflated, heated (wont melt), but let's keep the AMOUNT of air particles "n" the same. We then have idea gas law :
PV ~ T

So if you increase the temp of one balloon, for its pressure to remain at equillibrium it increases its volume. This forces all the surronding balloons to shrink, which make them warmer, because as V drops, P increases and so does T. See, everything is trying to be in equillibrium, heat and pressure, so it balances itself out. By transfering heat to a colder balloon, the pressure in the hot balloon drops. Really its fluid mechanics of the changes of pressure, where if you don't know applied mathematics for fluid dynamics its hard to understand.

Also remember wind is mainly from bernoulli's principle, that there's a force normal to a pressure gradient. This also means there's a force(in air) to a temperature gradient. Basic thermodynamics.

1. What is the relationship between air pressure and temperature?

The relationship between air pressure and temperature is known as the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the absolute temperature of a gas. This means that as temperature increases, so does air pressure, and vice versa.

2. How does temperature affect air pressure?

Temperature affects air pressure because it determines the amount of energy that air molecules have. When temperature increases, air molecules have more kinetic energy and move faster, causing them to collide with each other and the walls of their container with more force, resulting in an increase in air pressure.

3. Why does air pressure decrease with altitude?

Air pressure decreases with altitude because the higher you go in the atmosphere, the fewer air molecules there are above you. This means that there are fewer air molecules available to collide with each other and the walls of their container, resulting in a decrease in air pressure.

4. How is air pressure measured?

Air pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which can be either an aneroid or mercury type. In an aneroid barometer, a flexible metal box is used to measure the amount of air pressure exerted on it. In a mercury barometer, a column of mercury is used to measure the weight of air above it, which is directly related to air pressure.

5. What is the standard unit of measurement for air pressure?

The standard unit of measurement for air pressure is the Pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to one Newton per square meter. Other commonly used units include pounds per square inch (psi) and millibars (mb). In some cases, air pressure may also be measured in atmospheres (atm) or inches of mercury (inHg).