Calculating the Number of Atoms in a 12 kg Cat

• Thread starter GingerBread27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, to find the number of moles of atoms in a 12 kg cat, you can use the molar masses of hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon atoms and the fact that 1 u is equal to 1.66 x 10^-27 kg. By converting the cat's mass to grams and then finding the moles, you can determine the approximate number of atoms in the cat.
GingerBread27
I have to approximately figure out, to the nearest order of magnitude, how many moles of atoms there are in a 12 kg cat.You are also told that The masses of a hydrogen atom, an oxygen atom, and a carbon atom are 1.0 u, 16 u, and 12 u. .

all i know is that 1 u=1.66 x 10^-27 kg.
From here I am unsure where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 6.022 * 10^23 atoms in 1 mole.
Molar mass of hydrogen is around 1 g/mole...carbon is around 12 g/mole...and oxygen is about 16 g/mole...

You have 12,000 grams...you can find the moles and then thus find the atoms. :-D

GingerBread27 said:
I have to approximately figure out, to the nearest order of magnitude, how many moles of atoms there are in a 12 kg cat.You are also told that The masses of a hydrogen atom, an oxygen atom, and a carbon atom are 1.0 u, 16 u, and 12 u. .

all i know is that 1 u=1.66 x 10^-27 kg.
From here I am unsure where to go.

But this is a huge cat! :smile:
I would say that it mainly consists of water...

ehild

1. How do you calculate the number of atoms in a 12 kg cat?

To calculate the number of atoms in a 12 kg cat, you will need to use the formula N = m/M, where N is the number of atoms, m is the mass of the cat (12 kg), and M is the molar mass of the cat. You can find the molar mass by adding the atomic masses of all the elements in the cat's body. Once you have the molar mass, simply divide the mass of the cat by the molar mass to obtain the number of atoms.

2. What is the molar mass of a cat?

The molar mass of a cat will vary depending on the composition of its body. However, on average, a cat is made up of about 10% carbon, 9% hydrogen, 3% nitrogen, and small amounts of other elements. Using the atomic masses of these elements, the molar mass of a cat can be estimated to be around 55 g/mol. Keep in mind that this is just an approximation and may vary for different cats.

3. Is it necessary to know the exact molar mass of a cat to calculate the number of atoms?

No, it is not necessary to know the exact molar mass of a cat. As long as you have a rough estimate, you can still calculate the number of atoms using the formula N = m/M. However, the more accurate the molar mass, the more accurate the calculation will be.

4. Can this formula be used to calculate the number of atoms in any object?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the number of atoms in any object as long as you know the mass and the molar mass of the object. It is commonly used in chemistry and physics to calculate the number of atoms in a given substance.

5. What are some limitations of using this formula to calculate the number of atoms in a cat?

One limitation is that the molar mass of a cat can vary depending on its diet and physical activity. Another limitation is that this formula assumes that the cat is made up of only a few elements, when in reality, there are many different elements present in a cat's body. Additionally, this formula does not take into account the molecular structure and arrangement of the atoms in the cat's body, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation.