What are the applications of Euler-Lagrange equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how to start a problem related to classical mechanics and the Euler-Lagrange equations. The suggested approach is to focus on the keywords in the question and understand the fundamental principle that these equations are equivalent to the action integral having a stationary value. The conversation also mentions the Euler-Lagrange equation and its solution as the key to solving the problem.
MidnightR
Below is the question:

[PLAIN]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7549/42541832.jpg

I don't even know where to start. Theres nothing about this topic in my notes & I can't remember doing it before. I've tried searching for the key words but that didn't help much.

Does anyone have any links or suggestions as to how to start the question?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The keywords in the brackets are a good point to start - it is fundamental to classical mechanics that the Euler-Lagrange equations are equivalent to the action integral having a stationary value.

radou said:
The keywords in the brackets are a good point to start - it is fundamental to classical mechanics that the Euler-Lagrange equations are equivalent to the action integral having a stationary value.

Hmm I've done more reading, the differential equation I want is

dL/dx - d/dt[dL/dxdot] = 0

I believe? That gives the functional a stationary value... (ie stationary point, I'm guessing that's what extremal means)

Just seems a little silly that all I have to do is state a DE...

Yes, it seems like a basic theoretical question.

The equation you wrote down is the Euler Lagrange equation. Its solution are the functions for which the action functional is stationary.

1. What are Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations are a set of differential equations used to find the extrema (maximum or minimum) of a functional. They are commonly used in classical mechanics and variational calculus.

2. How are Euler-Lagrange equations derived?

Euler-Lagrange equations are derived by taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the dependent variable and its derivatives. This results in a set of differential equations that must be satisfied for the functional to have an extremum.

3. What is the significance of Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations are significant because they provide a method for finding the optimal solution of a functional. This is useful in physics and engineering applications as it allows for the determination of the most efficient or natural path for a system to follow.

4. What is the difference between Euler-Lagrange equations and Newton's laws of motion?

Euler-Lagrange equations are a more general approach to finding the equations of motion for a system, while Newton's laws of motion are specifically applicable to the motion of particles. Euler-Lagrange equations take into account the entire system and its constraints, while Newton's laws only consider the forces acting on individual particles.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler-Lagrange equations?

Yes, Euler-Lagrange equations are limited to systems that can be described by a single functional. They also assume that the functional is smooth and continuous, and may not be applicable in cases of discontinuous or non-differentiable functions.