Building a wind simulator. Control amount of electricity?

In summary, the University of Western Ontario is currently building a wind simulator. It will have a variety of fans with individual speed controls, and a controller to control all of them. It is said to be extremely complex, and may be difficult to control.
bkendra5
Building a wind simulator. Control amount of electricity??

I have about 20 6" fans that i'd like to mount to something in which I can control electricity to each fan and essentially simulate wind.

I looked at light DMX controllers for DJ's and that would be perfect except the electricty going to each fan will be a variable all the time.

Just like wind, there would be LARGE increases of electricty simulating a gust of wind, and on nice sunny days would just be a calm flow of air.

I know it is something easy I just can't think of the correct terminology to describe it.

Also, each fan will have its own speed, one fan may be full blast and the next may be at the very minimum. I'd also like to see it go in a wave, so the first 3 will be full blast, then in a few seconds they would shift right. so the first fan would slow down and the next 3 would be full blast.

I'd like to be able to run a program or program some type of controller that will give me 3 different days and be able to turn off.

Hopefully this is descriptive enough.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

As you have so many fans, why not just turn them on and off, one by one or in groups, to achieve your variation in total wind? It is bound to be more difficult (expensive circuitry) to control the speed of each fan, remotely than just to turn it on and off with a relay.

Hey sophiecentaur,
Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate that!

I do understand there will be a significant cost increase but the accomplishment of this project is worth more than the associated costs.

I also have another variable to throw into the mix, I want to control a linear actuator too, which will move the fan mount up and down.

Yay for complexity!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks again!

Hi bkendra5!

Welcome to the PF, btw :)

The electronics technicians at the University of Western Ontario are currently in the process of building something very similar for the WindEEE Dome prototype fans. There are some 120 fans, each with an individual speed control board, all tied into a master controller board. I don't know the cost of the project, but I know that it is extremely complex.

If you want to look them up on the UWO website and give them a call, they may help put you on the right track, depending on what you're trying to do. I don't expect that they will give you specific details on the project or be able to invest a lot of time in helping you, but you can try ;)

http://www.eng.uwo.ca/electrical/e-shop/

1. How does a wind simulator work?

A wind simulator works by using a large fan or turbine to create wind that is then directed towards a wind turbine. The wind turbine then converts the wind energy into electricity.

2. What factors affect the amount of electricity produced by a wind simulator?

The amount of electricity produced by a wind simulator is affected by several factors, including wind speed, wind direction, the size and design of the wind turbine, and the efficiency of the turbine's generator.

3. How can the amount of electricity produced by a wind simulator be controlled?

The amount of electricity produced by a wind simulator can be controlled by adjusting the speed of the fan or turbine, as well as the angle and position of the wind turbine blades. Additionally, advanced control systems can be used to optimize the wind turbine's performance.

4. What are some potential challenges in building a wind simulator?

Some potential challenges in building a wind simulator include finding a suitable location with consistent wind patterns, securing permits and approvals, and ensuring the structural integrity of the wind turbine and its foundation.

5. Are there any benefits to using a wind simulator for electricity production?

Yes, there are several benefits to using a wind simulator for electricity production. Wind energy is a renewable resource, meaning it will never run out. It also produces no emissions or pollution, making it a clean energy source. Additionally, wind energy can help reduce reliance on fossil fuels and contribute to a more sustainable future.