Retake Calc I: Pre-Med Physics Student Policy

• Thread starter kikko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, a student can take the same course a total of three times, with only the most recent grade counting in the GPA, although the previous attempts still appear in the academic record (transcript). But students retake a course only if they fail it, or if they get a D in their major department, or if they need to get their GPA above the required minimum (2.0 both overall and in the major). A student may not be allowed to retake a course if they earned a C or better in it, but if the GPA is that bad, there must be D's in there anyway which would be more worth raising.
kikko
I was wondering the policy of this at most schools. I'm a physics major/pre-med (which also gives me a zoology minor and a chemistry minor), and got a C in calculus I (got A's on 3 tests, bombed the fourth test on integrals with a 30%), but got A's in Calculus II and III . Would most schools let me take Calc I again, or should I take it again?

Physics news on Phys.org
kikko said:
Would most schools let me take Calc I again,

Surely only your school's policy counts, as far as you're concerned, and you can find that out for yourself easier than we can. :wink:

Here, a student can take the same course a total of three times, with only the most recent grade counting in the GPA, although the previous attempts still appear in the academic record (transcript). But students retake a course only if they fail it, or if they get a D in their major department, or if they need to get their GPA above the required minimum (2.0 both overall and in the major). I've never heard of anyone here re-taking a course to raise a C, except maybe to reach the minimum GPA. But if the GPA is that bad, there must be D's in there anyway which would be more worth raising.

or should I take it again?

I wouldn't. Your time is better spent taking higher-level courses and doing well in them.

Last edited:
Most schools won't let you retake a class if you got a C or better in it; you have to pay for the retake yourself (financial aid will only pay if you failed the course) so if you were rich enough you could just keep retaking courses until you had a 4.0. And since you are unlikely to learn anything more by retaking it, it looks bad to grad/med schools when you could have spent the time learning something new instead.

The point about this is not clear. Do you WANT an improved grade average, or do you just want to learn your Calculus 1 material better?

You did much better in Calculus 2 and 3 so you must have eventually learned Calculus 1 material more than well enough, maybe through review. Maybe you became more accustomed to the concepts and skills through practice. Maybe you learned to be more careful and to avoid mistakes in problem-solving. Calculus 2 & 3 are just as tough or more tough than Calculus 1 and they definitely rely on much of it.

Chances are you maybe not allowed to repeat a course which you earned a C or better, but as others said, check with your school.

If only your skill and knowledge are your concern, you could just study Calculus 1 on your own. No real need to earning credit at above "C".

I cannot speak for all schools, but in general, it is important for pre-med students to have a strong foundation in calculus. If you received a C in Calculus I, it may be beneficial for you to retake the course to ensure that you have a solid understanding of the material. It is ultimately up to the individual school's policy on retaking courses, so I would recommend checking with your academic advisor or the pre-med program at your school to determine the best course of action for your specific situation. It is also important to consider the impact that retaking the course may have on your overall academic record and whether it is worth the time and effort. Ultimately, it is important to prioritize your understanding and mastery of the material rather than just aiming for a higher grade.

1. What is the purpose of the "Retake Calc I: Pre-Med Physics Student Policy"?

The purpose of this policy is to provide a fair and equitable process for pre-med physics students who may need to retake Calculus I in order to meet their academic requirements for medical school.

2. Who is eligible for the "Retake Calc I: Pre-Med Physics Student Policy"?

Pre-med physics students who have received a grade lower than a C in Calculus I and need to retake the course to meet their academic requirements for medical school are eligible for this policy.

3. How many times can a student retake Calculus I under this policy?

Students are only eligible to retake Calculus I once under this policy. If they still do not receive a passing grade, they will need to seek other options to fulfill their academic requirements for medical school.

4. What is the process for retaking Calculus I under this policy?

Students must submit a written request to their academic advisor explaining their situation and why they need to retake Calculus I. They must also provide proof of their acceptance into medical school and a plan for how they will improve their performance in the course. The request will then be reviewed by a committee who will make a decision on whether or not the student is eligible for the retake.

5. Will retaking Calculus I under this policy impact a student's GPA?

No, if a student successfully retakes Calculus I under this policy, the new grade will replace the previous grade in their GPA calculation. This means that their GPA will not be negatively affected by the retake.