Density and error/uncertainty

• Thread starter cod3blu3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary: In this lab, we used the measurements of the diameter of the sphere to calculate its volume and density, with the error in these calculations being determined by the standard deviation of the diameter measurements. In summary, the purpose of this lab was to find the density and its errors using partial derivatives and the formula for the volume of a sphere. We can calculate the volume and density of the sphere using the given measurements, with the error being determined by the standard deviation of the diameter measurements.
cod3blu3
Requesting some help. In my physics lab this week we were required to measure a number of different spheres, find the mean of their diameters, find volume, and finally find density.

The whole purpose of the lab is to find the density and its errors using something about partial derivatives. Now bear with me here, I'm just starting calculus 2 this semester and as far as i know, we haven't learned anything about partial derivatives yet. My physics professor is one of those guys who uses all of these complicated words and formulas when he explains something and all i really want is a straight forward answer "for dummies"

So let's start with an example, and someone please walk me though how to solve it.

In lab we measured a ball that was 1cm in diameter.

the 6 separate measurements were 1.000cm,1.005cm,1.010cm,1.005cm,1.000cm,1.010cm

giving:
mean = 1.005
std dev = .0044721
mass = 1.8g +/- .1g

Can someone please 1) calculate volume with error. 2) calculate density with its error. 3) explain in an easy to understand manner?

All i really need to know is how to find the density and its error for this lab.

sorry if this is in the wrong place and for not using the format provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) To calculate the volume with its error, we can use the formula for the volume of a sphere which is V = (4/3)*pi*r^3. Since the diameter of the sphere is 1cm, we can take the radius to be 0.5cm. Therefore, V = (4/3)*pi*(0.5cm)^3 = 0.523 cm^3. The error in this volume is given by the standard deviation of the diameter measurements. We can calculate the error in the volume as (ΔV/V)*100 = (0.0044721/1.005)*100 = 4.46%. Therefore, the volume of the sphere is 0.523 cm^3 with an error of 4.46%. 2) To calculate the density with its error, we can use the formula for density which is ρ = m/V. In this case, m is the mass of the sphere which is 1.8g +/- .1g, and V is the volume which we just calculated to be 0.523 cm^3 with an error of 4.46%. Therefore, the density of the sphere is ρ = 1.8g/0.523 cm^3 = 3.44 g/cm^3 with an error of 5.9%. 3) Density is a measure of how much mass a certain object has per unit of volume. To calculate the density of an object, we need to find its mass and volume. The mass can be measured directly by using a balance, while the volume can be calculated using the formula for the volume of a sphere (V = (4/3)*pi*r^3). The density of the object is then calculated using the formula ρ = m/V, with the error being calculated using partial derivatives.

1. What is density?

Density is a physical property that measures the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is typically expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The formula for density is: D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume.

3. What is error/uncertainty in density measurements?

Error or uncertainty in density measurements refers to the degree of inaccuracy in the calculated density value. It can be caused by various factors such as limitations in measurement tools, human error, or variations in the sample being measured.

4. How is error/uncertainty in density measurements determined?

Error/uncertainty in density measurements is determined by taking repeated measurements and calculating the standard deviation, which is a measure of the spread of the data. A lower standard deviation indicates a more precise measurement and a higher level of confidence in the calculated density value.

5. How can error/uncertainty in density measurements be minimized?

Error/uncertainty in density measurements can be minimized by using accurate and precise measurement tools, taking multiple measurements, and controlling for external factors that may affect the density of the substance. It is also important to properly record and analyze the data to identify and correct any sources of error.