Welcome to K-12 Homework Board - Get Your Questions Answered

• Thread starter Vector Sum
  • Start date
In summary, welcome to the board and the most important rule is to not do the homework for the students.
Vector Sum
Nice forum you folks have here! IT's so much better than "science forums," I can't tell you!

A fellow teacher told me about this site. Most people seem to have a good sense of humor. I have a strong urge to start answering a bunch of questions posted ont the k-12 homework board, but before I do, does anyone have any hints regarding protocol?

That is, do some members/administrators have a "final say" or is it OK to give an additional response that may (or may not) be helpful to the person asking?

And any other things you long-standing members take for granted (and not mentioned in FAQs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vector Sum said:
Nice forum you folks have here! IT's so much better than "science forums," I can't tell you!

A fellow teacher told me about this site. Most people seem to have a good sense of humor. I have a strong urge to start answering a bunch of questions posted ont the k-12 homework board, but before I do, does anyone have any hints regarding protocol?

That is, do some members/administrators have a "final say" or is it OK to give an additional response that may (or may not) be helpful to the person asking?

As long as the thread isn't locked, you always can add to it.

With regards to protocol, you should read the "sticky" or any guidelines at the beginning of each section. My own personal protocol (more like "guidelines") is that I never entertain a question in which the person either did not reveal the entire question, did not attempt to show what he/she already did, or did not reveal what he/she already knows to be able to answer the question.

.. but then again, maybe I'm just an ogre... :)

Zz.

The only real rule is "don't solve the question for them unless significant attempts have been made".

If someone posts a question on the order of:

How long will it take for a ball to hit the ground if it is launched at 24m/s at an angle 40 degrees above the horizontal.

PLZ HELP!1! I dunt no how 2 do thz prblms!1!

Your response shouldn't be more than:

Split the velocity into x and y components, and look up the equations in your book for dealing with constant acceleration problems.

If the person instead posts an honest attempt, then feel free to answer as much as you think the person would need to solve the problem; whether it's a point in the right direction, or telling them which line their algebra error is on. Use your best judgement.

Welcome to the forums!

enigma said:
The only real rule is "don't solve the question for them unless significant attempts have been made".

If someone posts a question on the order of:

Your response shouldn't be more than:

If the person instead posts an honest attempt, then feel free to answer as much as you think the person would need to solve the problem; whether it's a point in the right direction, or telling them which line their algebra error is on. Use your best judgement.

Welcome to the forums!

I'm with you too. The only rule you need is politeness. I advice you never question with simply one line of comment. For instance:

Starting Thread. Message.
"What's entropy?".
Closing Thread.

For me that isn't welcome, and I will not respond any question such those, because I've never made a question in such a way. Usually I try to be polite both in questions and answers, and if somebody has the politeness and kindness of answering me, I will reply him giving some thanks. No more is needed. Answering to the "vacuum" is an unpleasant thing.

Welcome to the board Vector Sum!

As the others have pointed out, the most important rule is we don't do the homework for the students; we try to nudge them in the right direction to learn their lessons for themselves. Otherwise, there are plenty of questions to be answered, so feel free to jump in and help out!

Welcom to PF, Vector Sum!
A perhaps obvious point of etiquette mostly followed, is that if you develop an answer similar/building on another's reply, you ought to mention that person (for example "As SoandSo said,..)

Last edited:
Thanks all. I've already jumped in. God knows why! It's my job to teach physics, and I answer questions all day, so what do I do with my free time? Answer more questions? It's an odd compulsion isn't it? Sort of a "MUST ... FIX ... WORLD " complex.

What is K-12 Homework Board?

K-12 Homework Board is an online platform where students can seek help and get their questions answered by experts in various subjects.

How does K-12 Homework Board work?

Students can post their questions on the platform and experts can provide answers. The students can also search for previously asked questions and their answers to find help.

Who are the experts on K-12 Homework Board?

The experts on K-12 Homework Board are experienced professionals in their respective fields. They may be teachers, tutors, or individuals with extensive knowledge in a particular subject.

Is K-12 Homework Board free to use?

Yes, K-12 Homework Board is completely free for students to use. There are no hidden fees or charges.

Can I trust the answers provided on K-12 Homework Board?

Yes, the experts on K-12 Homework Board are carefully selected and verified. However, it is always recommended to double-check the information and use the answers as a reference for further learning.