Required torque to move a carousal

• Thread starter WolfSpice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, for an engineering project involving a carousel, the center shaft needs to be turned at 10rpm. The weight of the carousel is 300lbs with an additional 60lbs on each side, and the center shaft is 6 inches in diameter. The question is how much torque is needed, but since the bearing is considered frictionless, there should be minimal torque needed to keep the carousel going at 10rpm. However, there may be other factors to consider, such as a lack of friction factor in the bearing catalog.
WolfSpice
Ok, so I'm doing an engineering project for a carousal and need to spec a motor, therefor I need to know how much torque I need to turn the center shaft of the carousal at 10rpm. If the bearing is considered frictionless how do I find the answer.

Lets say the carousal weights 300lbs, with an additional 60lbs on each side (weight of the rider) at 1.5ft from the center.

The center shaft is 6in in diameter if that matters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm if the carousel is actually frictionless then why do you need any torque at all to keep it going at 10 rpm?

Once you get it going, you should need approximately 0 torque.

Well you see, my problem is, technically it's not frictionless, but there's no friction factor listed for any bearing in the catalog, so I figured maybe there was something else to it, guess not.

To determine the required torque to move the carousal, we can use the formula T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the radius. In this case, the force will be the total weight of the carousal and riders, which is 480lbs (300lbs + 60lbs + 60lbs) and the radius will be 1.5ft.

Plugging these values into the formula, we get T = 480lbs x 1.5ft = 720 ft-lbs. This means that the motor will need to provide at least 720 ft-lbs of torque to turn the center shaft of the carousal at 10rpm.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes a frictionless bearing. If the bearing does have some friction, the required torque will be slightly higher. Additionally, the diameter of the center shaft may also affect the torque required, but it is not specified in the given information.

In conclusion, to determine the required torque for the motor, we need to consider the weight of the carousal and riders, the distance from the center, and the assumption of a frictionless bearing.

1. What is required torque to move a carousel?

The required torque to move a carousel depends on several factors such as the weight of the carousel, the rotational speed, and the friction or resistance in the bearings. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm).

2. How do you calculate the required torque to move a carousel?

The required torque can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the carousel by the radius of rotation and the rotational speed. This calculation is known as the moment of inertia and is expressed as T = I x ω, where T is torque, I is moment of inertia, and ω is rotational speed in radians per second.

3. What is the role of friction in determining the required torque?

Friction plays a significant role in determining the required torque to move a carousel. Friction in the bearings can cause resistance, which requires more torque to overcome. It is essential to consider friction in the design and maintenance of a carousel to ensure it operates smoothly and efficiently.

4. Is the required torque constant for all carousels?

No, the required torque can vary for different types of carousels. Factors such as size, weight, and design can affect the required torque. Additionally, the required torque may change as the carousel ages and experiences wear and tear.

5. How can the required torque be reduced?

The required torque can be reduced by reducing the weight of the carousel, decreasing the rotational speed, and minimizing friction in the bearings. Using smoother and more efficient bearings, as well as regular maintenance and lubrication, can also help reduce the required torque to move a carousel.