Simple error analysis for probabilities

In summary, the conversation discusses using Poisson errors for histogram bins and scaling data sets to compare them. The speaker has a small data set with 7 elements in one bin, but when scaled to a probability, the resulting value exceeds 1. The issue is that the Poisson approximation is only valid for small fractions of the total sample, and a binomial distribution may be a better choice. Additionally, it is possible for a one standard error range to include impossible values, especially for asymmetric distributions.
cahill8
I'm dealing with a histogram and want to use poisson errors for each bin. For example, having 7 items in a bin gives that bin an error of sqrt(7). I'm comparing four different data sets, each with different sizes. I'm scaling everything in terms of probabilities so the four data sets can be compared.

My smallest data set contains only 8 elements, of which 7 are in one bin, with an error of sqrt(7). Now when this is scaled to a probability, y=7/8 and yerr=sqrt(7)/8. However, this gives P=0.875+-0.33, which does not make sense since the probability cannot exceed 0. Is there something simple I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple things going on here. First, the Poisson approximation is only valid when the bin contains only a small fraction of the total sample. So if you have 100 elements and 7 are in one bin, the Poisson approximation is good. But if you have 8 elements and 7 are in one bin, the Poisson approximation is very very bad. You'd do better to use a binomial, where the standard error will be [itex]Npq = \sqrt{\frac{(7/8)(1-7/8)}{8}}=0.11[/itex]. (Actually, it should be 0.125 but I'll not get into that.)

Second, there is no reason why a one standard error range cannot include impossible values. For very asymmetric distributions, it will commonly be the case.

1. What is simple error analysis for probabilities?

Simple error analysis for probabilities is a statistical method used to estimate the uncertainty or margin of error associated with a probability value. It helps to determine the reliability of a probability estimate based on sample data.

2. How is simple error analysis for probabilities different from other error analysis techniques?

Simple error analysis for probabilities is specifically designed to analyze the uncertainty or error associated with probability values, while other error analysis techniques may be used for different types of data or measurements.

3. What are the steps involved in simple error analysis for probabilities?

The first step is to collect a sample of data and calculate the probability of interest. Then, the standard error of the probability is calculated using a formula. Finally, the margin of error is determined by multiplying the standard error by a critical value based on the desired level of confidence.

4. What is the significance of simple error analysis for probabilities?

Simple error analysis for probabilities allows researchers to quantify the uncertainty associated with their probability estimates. This information is important in decision making and can help to determine the reliability of the results.

5. How can simple error analysis for probabilities be applied in real-life situations?

Simple error analysis for probabilities can be applied in various fields, such as market research, public opinion polls, and medical studies. It can help to determine the accuracy and reliability of predictions and can aid in decision making based on probability estimates.