Supplemental book for Landau (mechanics)

In summary, the speakers are discussing recommendations for supplemental books to understand the concepts of Landau's book better. Some suggestions include Calkin's "Lagrangian & Hamiltonian Mechanics," Morin's "Intro to Classical Mechanics," and Goldstein's "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics." The speakers caution that Morin's book may be too extensive for a pure analytical mechanics course and suggest skimming through it at a library before purchasing.
planethunter
Hello all, I know this might be a redundant question. I started my graduate mechanics course tonight and we will be using Landau's book. What does everyone recommend as a good supplemental book to Landau in order to understand the concepts better? One that has I would say more elaborate examples and is not as brief as Landau.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, my analytical mech course also follows Landau + Goldstein's texts. Try Calkin's "Lagrangian & Hamiltonian Mechanics" explains theory a lot better IMO and has plenty of examples (nothing on rigid bodies like in Landau's though).

Morin's "Intro to classical mechanics" has pretty thorough chapters on lagrangian mechanics and rigid body motion with a lot of solved problems, worth checking out too.

Likes 1 person
I like Arnold "Mathematcal Method of Classical Mechanics" but its pretty terse as well. However I found arnold much more understandable then landau. Goldstein might be a good choice for you.

Ok, thanks for the recommendations. I am considering going with either Morin or Goldstein. All the Morin reviews on Amazon are great, and Goldstein is a standard text on the subject. I am leaning towards Morin at this point.

Just a word of warning on Morin: its mostly Newtonian mechanics (some SR and GR) and its huge, I think its overkill/unnecessary for a pure analytical mechanics course, not to mention it doesn't have anything on Hamiltonian theory. Might want to try skimming through the chapters you're interested in at a local library before buying it.

1. What is the purpose of a supplemental book for Landau (mechanics)?

The supplemental book for Landau (mechanics) is meant to provide additional explanations and examples to complement the main text and help deepen understanding of the subject matter.

2. Is the supplemental book necessary to understand Landau (mechanics)?

No, the main text of Landau (mechanics) is comprehensive and self-contained. The supplemental book is optional but can be useful for further clarification and practice.

3. Are the examples in the supplemental book the same as those in Landau (mechanics)?

No, the examples in the supplemental book are different and are meant to supplement the examples in the main text. They may cover similar concepts but with different scenarios and applications.

4. Can the supplemental book be used as a standalone resource for learning Landau (mechanics)?

No, the supplemental book is meant to be used in conjunction with the main text. It assumes prior knowledge and understanding of the concepts covered in Landau (mechanics).

5. Are there practice problems in the supplemental book for Landau (mechanics)?

Yes, the supplemental book includes additional practice problems to help solidify understanding of the concepts. However, it is not meant to replace the practice problems in the main text.