Good calculus textbook for HS student

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for a good calculus textbook for self-teaching. They are currently reviewing pre-calculus material and will be finished in a month. They are starting 11th grade and are unsure if there will be calculus in their curriculum. They are interested in learning calculus for physics and as a personal challenge. They plan to start with Calculus for Dummies and then move on to a textbook, possibly one with more visual aids. They also suggest using Khan Academy for learning concepts and any textbook for practice.
masteri
Hi every one, can somebody recommend me good calculus textbook for self teaching. I am currently reviewing pre calculus material and i should be finished in a month or so. Today i am starting 3rd grade in high school and i really don't know if there is any calculus in 3 rd grade. I haven't seen any limits problem in 3rd grade math book so i guess there isn't any. Anyway you maybe wondering why i at need calculus textbook. 1. In my country school system is different and you don't choose classes so i am getting calculus wheter i like it or not. 2. I am more and more getting interested in physics( which is weird since in elementary school i found it not at all interesting) and since most of my problems in physics come from not knowing the math i decided to learn better math. 3. I like it as a challenge to see if i can do it on my own. I know i will be starting with calculus for dummies as a intro and then move to textbook. Thank you. P.S. Sorry if text appears unformated since i am writing this grom my ipod

Physics news on Phys.org
you might try calculus by elliot gootman

How about Calculus for Dummies...

Hey,

So I am also entering 11th grade (I think that's what you meant by 3rd grade of high school), and I have just finished teaching myself Calculus 1, so I think I can give you some advice.

For teaching yourself the concepts, I would recommend going to KhanAcademy.com, its extremely well done and does a superb job at teaching the fundamental concepts of calculus (and indeed anything).

Once you are comfortable with the concepts, the next step is practicing. For this really any textbook will do, I went down to my nearby college library and borrowed the textbook which looked the best (if it matters, Its called Elementary Calculus: an infinitesimal approach). Using this textbook I just did the problems I wanted too, and it let me fully refine my calculus.

If you insist on studying from a textbook from day 1, I would suggest leaning towards a newer textbook, they tend to present concepts graphically more than analytically which can be helpful when teaching yourself, though I find it tiresome when you are practicing stuff you already know.

Hope this helps!

Hello,

I would recommend the textbook "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. This textbook is commonly used in high school and college calculus courses and has received positive reviews for its clear explanations and examples. It also has a variety of practice problems to help reinforce concepts. Additionally, I would suggest supplementing your learning with online resources such as Khan Academy or YouTube tutorials to further enhance your understanding of calculus. Good luck on your self-teaching journey!

What is the importance of a good calculus textbook for high school students?

A good calculus textbook is crucial for high school students because it provides a solid foundation for higher level math courses and prepares them for college-level calculus. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in many fields, such as science, engineering, and economics.

What makes a calculus textbook suitable for high school students?

A good calculus textbook for high school students should have clear and concise explanations, relevant and relatable examples, and a variety of practice problems with varying levels of difficulty. It should also have interactive elements, such as online resources or practice quizzes, to engage students and reinforce their understanding.

What are some recommended calculus textbooks for high school students?

Some popular and highly-rated calculus textbooks for high school students include "Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Ross L. Finney, Franklin D. Demana, Bert K. Waits, and Daniel Kennedy, "Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions" by Ron Larson and Bruce H. Edwards, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart.

Are there any online resources that can supplement a calculus textbook for high school students?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a calculus textbook for high school students. Some examples include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and Paul's Online Math Notes. These resources offer video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive tools that can help students better understand and apply calculus concepts.

How can a high school student make the most out of their calculus textbook?

To make the most out of their calculus textbook, a high school student should actively engage with the material by taking thorough notes, asking questions, and completing all assigned practice problems. They should also seek help from their teacher or peers if they are struggling with a particular concept and utilize online resources for additional practice and review.