So I need to make a superconducting tube.

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on creating a superconducting tube using liquid nitrogen and is considering using YBCO powder and a binder or pressing method. They mention concerns about structural integrity and inhibiting superconductivity. Another suggestion is using palladium hydride. The speaker is also surprised that no companies are willing to create a YBCO tube to their specifications and suggests sintering YBCO themselves with access to a high temperature furnace.
TimDubya
Preferably YBCO or BSCCO as I only have liquid nitrogen at my disposal. The issue I'm running into is that no HTS producer makes superconductors in this configuration. I was thinking of just buying the YBCO powder and then either pressing it into the desired shape or mixing in a binder of some kind. The problem with pressing would be structural integrity and the problem with a binder is it might inhibit some aspects of the materials superconductivity. The dimensions don't really matter for this tube as the experiment I'm doing can be scaled, just so long as the length is like 5 or more ID's.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could try using palladium hydride, which is basically palladium supersaturated with hydrogen. It becomes super conducting at LN temperatures

I'm surprised that none of the companies out there would be willing to cast a YBCO tube and sinter it to whatever your specifications are. Perhaps you haven't gotten in touch with the right people.

Anyway, as long as you have access to a high temperature furnace (MoSi2 elements would suffice) you can sinter YBCO yourself.

1. What is a superconducting tube?

A superconducting tube is a cylindrical tube made of a material that has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance at extremely low temperatures.

2. How does a superconducting tube work?

A superconducting tube works by allowing electrons to flow through it without any resistance, allowing for efficient transfer of electrical energy.

3. What are the benefits of using a superconducting tube?

The use of a superconducting tube can greatly increase the efficiency and speed of electrical transmission, reduce energy loss, and decrease the need for cooling systems.

4. What materials are used to make a superconducting tube?

The most commonly used materials for superconducting tubes are ceramics, such as yttrium-barium-copper-oxide and bismuth-strontium-calcium-copper-oxide, and certain metals, such as niobium-titanium and niobium-tin.

5. What are the challenges in creating a superconducting tube?

The main challenge in creating a superconducting tube is finding the right materials and manufacturing processes to create a tube that can maintain superconductivity at high temperatures. Another challenge is finding ways to effectively insulate and protect the superconducting material from outside elements.