Finding Research Topics in HEP (Undergraduate level)

In summary, the conversation suggests exploring the Dirac equation as a topic for a research paper in the field of Physics. The speaker recommends brushing up on quantum mechanics and solving the Dirac equation for the hydrogen atom, comparing the results to the non-relativistic hydrogen atom with first order corrections. The speaker also suggests discussing other solutions and their implications, such as the gyromagnetic ratio measurements. However, the topic may require some work and review for the speaker.
Elwin.Martin
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for something I could research for a paper I have to write about my major (Physics). I could do history of particle physics, but I'd rather not. Any and all suggestions would be great!

Thanks for your time,
Elwin

Physics news on Phys.org
How technical does it have to be? Do you have knowledge of quantum field theory?

Polyrhythmic said:
How technical does it have to be? Do you have knowledge of quantum field theory?
Two chapters of Ryder and two chapters of Peskin and Schroeder. I also have read most of Elementary Particles by Griffith's, which was easy, but enjoyable. I'm watching/reading David Tong's lecture series at the moment as well. It does not have to be super technical, but the main requirement is to source 15 works (texts, papers etc.) so it has to be substantial at least in size.

Are you a senior physics major? (if you have some Ryder and Peskin under your belt?) Are you familiar enough with non-relativistic quantum mechanics that you can solve the hydrogen atom? Have you done any perturbation theory? If so, I'd suggest exploring the Dirac equation.

You can see matter/anti-matter even in the free particle solutions, you can see the gyromagnetic ratio is exactly 2, etc. If you calculate time evolutions of some expectation values (velocity, for instance) you can see the so called "Zitterbewegung."

The hydrogen atom is exactly solvable in the Dirac quation, but sort of tricky, but if you solve it, you can compare to the non-relativistic hydrogen atom, and the first order relativistic corrections.

You can conclude by talking about some of the experiment (gyromagnetic ratio measurements) and some of the behaviors of the solutions of the equation that point toward quantum field theory. There is plenty of meat in the Dirac equation, and it gets left out of a lot of curriculums.

ParticleGrl said:
Are you a senior physics major? (if you have some Ryder and Peskin under your belt?) Are you familiar enough with non-relativistic quantum mechanics that you can solve the hydrogen atom? Have you done any perturbation theory? If so, I'd suggest exploring the Dirac equation.

You can see matter/anti-matter even in the free particle solutions, you can see the gyromagnetic ratio is exactly 2, etc. If you calculate time evolutions of some expectation values (velocity, for instance) you can see the so called "Zitterbewegung."

The hydrogen atom is exactly solvable in the Dirac quation, but sort of tricky, but if you solve it, you can compare to the non-relativistic hydrogen atom, and the first order relativistic corrections.

You can conclude by talking about some of the experiment (gyromagnetic ratio measurements) and some of the behaviors of the solutions of the equation that point toward quantum field theory. There is plenty of meat in the Dirac equation, and it gets left out of a lot of curriculums.

Not a senior, just fortunate. I should be familiar enough, but I would probably need some review. Would Griffith's be adequate or should I look at something like Shankar? My perturbation theory goes as far as 6.1 and 6.2 in Griffith's.

I don't know a lot about the Dirac Equation besides the most basic solutions, but I'm sure that it would be interesting.
So you're recommending something like:
[Brush up on some Qmech]
Solve Dirac Equation for Hydrogen Atom
Solve usual Hydrogen Atom with first order corrections
Compare results
Discussion of other solutions and their implications

I think I could figure out something to do with the topics you have listed above relating to the Dirac equation though I have a feeling it will be some work.

Thank you very much for the recommendation!
Elwin

1. What is HEP and why is it important?

HEP stands for High Energy Physics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works at the most basic level.

2. How can I find research topics in HEP at the undergraduate level?

One way to find research topics in HEP at the undergraduate level is to talk to your professors or advisors. They may have ongoing projects that you can join or suggest potential topics based on your interests. You can also attend seminars and conferences related to HEP to get ideas or browse through scientific journals for recent developments in the field.

3. What skills do I need to have to conduct research in HEP at the undergraduate level?

To conduct research in HEP at the undergraduate level, you need to have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer programming. You should also have good analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Additionally, knowledge of experimental techniques and data analysis is beneficial.

4. Can I conduct research in HEP as an undergraduate student?

Yes, it is possible to conduct research in HEP as an undergraduate student. Many universities offer undergraduate research opportunities in this field, and you can also reach out to HEP research groups at national laboratories or research institutions. It is a great way to get hands-on experience and prepare for graduate studies or a career in HEP.

5. Will I have access to expensive equipment and facilities for my HEP research?

As an undergraduate student, you may not have access to expensive equipment and facilities for your HEP research. However, you can still contribute to research by assisting with data analysis, simulations, or literature review. Some universities may also have small-scale experiments that you can work on, or you can collaborate with other researchers who have access to the necessary equipment and facilities.