Series resistance of Schottky diode

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the series resistance of a Schottky diode using two equations given in the notes. The person is unsure of how to obtain a value for rc from the plotted curve and questions the use of the rearranged formula. The expert suggests that rc is not necessarily constant and may vary with forward current, making it difficult to define a single resistance for the diode. They also mention that it may not be appropriate to call rc the diode resistance as it is not equivalent to either Vf/If or dVf/dIf.
ffesty

Homework Statement

I have plotted the I-V characteristics of a Schottky diode under strong forward bias (0-0.7V, conduction begins at about 0.3V). I have to find the series resistance of the diode, rc.

Homework Equations

My notes give the equation [itex]I_{F}=I_{S}\exp\left(\frac{e\left(V_{F}-Ir_{c}\right)}{\eta kT}\right) [/itex], then they rearrange it to [itex]I_{F}r_{c}=V_{F}-\frac{\eta kT}{e}\ln\left(\frac{I_{F}}{I_{s}}\right) [/itex] and say 'hence, estimate the series resistance of the diode'.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is I can't work out how to get from the curve I have plotted to a value of rc. I could just take the gradient of the curve where it is most linear and treat that as the series resistance but I don't think that's right, as the question clearly wants me to use their rearranged formula. I have all the data for n, k T, etc, so I could just plug the numbers in for each data point and get an average rc, but then there would have been no point in drawing a graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
My notes give the equation [itex]I_{F}=I_{S}\exp\left(\frac{e\left(V_{F}-Ir_{c}\right)}{\eta kT}\right) [/itex], then they rearrange it to [itex]I_{F}r_{c}=V_{F}-\frac{\eta kT}{e}\ln\left(\frac{I_{F}}{I_{s}}\right) [/itex] and say 'hence, estimate the series resistance of the diode'.

Why should rc necessarily be constant? If they define "resistance of the diode as rc" then rc is by no means constant with forward current, courtesy the second term in your last equation above. So really there is no "the" resistance, just a continuum of resistances varying with forward current.

Actually, I'm not sure calling rc the diode resistance is a good idea to begin with. rc is neither Vf/If nor dVf/dIf, the latter being the slope of your V-I curve for the diode. Usually, one or the other matters most.

1. What is series resistance in a Schottky diode?

Series resistance in a Schottky diode refers to the resistance that is present in the external circuit of the diode. This resistance can affect the overall performance of the diode, as it can limit the current flow and cause voltage drops.

2. How is series resistance calculated in a Schottky diode?

The series resistance in a Schottky diode can be calculated by measuring the forward voltage drop across the diode and the corresponding current. The resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I), where V is the voltage and I is the current.

3. What factors can affect the series resistance of a Schottky diode?

The series resistance of a Schottky diode can be affected by factors such as the material used for the diode, the size and shape of the diode, and the temperature. The resistance can also be influenced by the quality of the contacts and the external circuit design.

4. How does series resistance impact the performance of a Schottky diode?

The series resistance in a Schottky diode can cause voltage drops, which can affect the overall performance of the diode. It can also limit the current flow, leading to reduced efficiency and increased power dissipation. In high-frequency applications, series resistance can also cause signal distortion.

5. How can series resistance be minimized in a Schottky diode?

To minimize series resistance in a Schottky diode, high-quality materials and contacts should be used. The diode should also be designed with a larger surface area to reduce the resistance. Additionally, proper thermal management can help reduce the impact of temperature on the resistance. Careful consideration of the external circuit design can also help minimize series resistance.