Definition of a Restriction in Linear Algebra

In summary, the hint suggests considering the restriction of S to W in order to solve the problem of showing that the dimension of the composition of S and T is less than or equal to the sum of the dimensions of S and T.
JonoPUH

Homework Statement

Let V be a finite-dimensional vector over ℝ, and let S and T be linear transformations from V to V

Show that n(ST)≤n(S)+n(T)

Given Hints
Consider the restriction of S to W where W=im(T)

Can someone please tell me what the above hint means?

I haven't attempted a solution, but then I'm not asking for a hint for the solution. I just require the definition of a restriction please! I haven't been able to find a definition of one in my lecture notes. They are just mentioned.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The restriction simply means you're restricting the domain of S to those vectors in V which are elements of W. In other words, you have a new mapping R: W→V where x maps to S(x) for all x∈W.

1. What is a restriction in linear algebra?

A restriction in linear algebra refers to limiting the domain or range of a linear transformation to a specific subset. It is a way of defining a transformation on a smaller set of vectors. The restriction can be defined by specifying the specific vectors that the transformation will be applied to.

2. How is a restriction represented in linear algebra?

A restriction is typically represented by using a subscript or a superscript to indicate the subset of vectors that the transformation will be applied to. For example, if the original transformation is represented by the matrix A, then the restricted transformation can be represented by AS or AS, where S is the subset of vectors.

3. What is the purpose of using a restriction in linear algebra?

The purpose of using a restriction is to simplify calculations and make them more manageable. By limiting the domain or range of a linear transformation, we can focus on a smaller set of vectors and make computations easier. Restrictions can also help us understand the behavior of a transformation on specific subsets of vectors.

4. Can a restriction change the properties of a linear transformation?

No, a restriction does not change the properties of a linear transformation. Linear transformations must still satisfy the properties of linearity, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication. These properties are not affected by a restriction, as it only limits the domain or range of the transformation.

5. Are there any types of restrictions in linear algebra?

Yes, there are two types of restrictions in linear algebra: domain restriction and range restriction. A domain restriction limits the domain of the transformation, while a range restriction limits the range of the transformation. Both types of restrictions can be used to define a transformation on a specific subset of vectors.