ANSYS - section nodes and global nodes

In summary: This is because the beam is actually a 1D element. If you want to create a 3D mesh of the beam, you will need to use higher order elements (plates, solids).
student@work
I am creating a 3D mesh for beam188 elements (L sections).

Method - create keypoints, create lines between KP, define section, apply all relevant properties to the line and mesh the line.

When I view the mesh (/ESHAPE,1) it appears as you would expect with an extruded L-shaped 3D brick-structure (blue solid 'bricks' with corners - I assumed each 'corner' would be a node but this does not seem to be true?)

When I plot nodes, the only nodes that appear are at the ends of the element (ie where I created by original KP)

I CAN however view nodes across the section of the beam by
PREPROCESSOR >> SECTIONS >> BEAM >> PLOT SECTIONS then pick "Node Numbers" from the "Show section mesh?" dropdown. This shows a x-y plot of the beam's cross-section with the nodes and areas.

Can anyone explain, can I view these "Section Nodes" in my global model??

And can I use these section nodes in my global model (to lock elements together)?

Thanks in advance for any info

(If it is not too clear I can explain why I want to do this but tried to keep it as brief as possible)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I got an answer from another forum, in case anyone has the same issue this was the response I got

"Beam188 elements are actually 1D elements. When you plot nodes, that is why you are only seeing them at the ends of the element.

If you want a 3D mesh in the sense that you are physically able to connect other meshed elements to particular locations of your L section, you are going to have to go to higher order elements (plates, solids).

For more information on the theory behind your particular beam element, I'd recommend reading the accompanying user's or reference guide."

student@work: How many beam188 elements do you get on each line? If it is one element per line, do you want more than one per line? This might not help (I might have some syntax wrong, depending on version), but just in case.

As you mentioned in post 2, there is one node at the ends of each beam element.

1. What is the difference between section nodes and global nodes in ANSYS?

Section nodes are points along the cross section of an element in ANSYS, while global nodes are points that define the overall geometry of the structure being analyzed. Section nodes are used in element formulations, while global nodes are used to connect elements and define boundary conditions.

2. How are section nodes and global nodes numbered in ANSYS?

Section nodes are numbered within each element, while global nodes are numbered sequentially across the entire model. This numbering system allows for easy identification and tracking of nodes within the model.

3. Can section nodes and global nodes be edited in ANSYS?

Yes, both section nodes and global nodes can be edited in ANSYS. Section nodes can be edited within the element formulation, while global nodes can be edited using the geometry creation tools or by manually inputting coordinates.

4. What is the purpose of section nodes and global nodes in ANSYS?

Section nodes and global nodes are essential for defining the geometry and connectivity of elements within a finite element model. They allow for accurate analysis of structural behavior and enable the application of boundary conditions to the model.

5. How do section nodes and global nodes affect the accuracy of an ANSYS simulation?

The placement and accuracy of section nodes and global nodes can greatly impact the accuracy of an ANSYS simulation. Incorrect or inadequate placement of nodes can lead to inaccurate results, while a higher number of nodes can improve the accuracy of the simulation. It is important to carefully consider node placement and ensure a sufficient number of nodes for an accurate analysis.