The Limit Superior and Bounded Sequences

• Thread starter autre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a bounded sequence, r=\lim\sup_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_{n}, and the need to show that there are both finitely many and infinitely many values of x_n that are less than r+\epsilon, for any given \epsilon>0. The first part of the question is answered by the definition of limit superior, and the second part can be proven by considering the contradiction that would arise if there were only finitely many values of x_n less than r+\epsilon.
autre

Homework Statement

[itex]\{x_{n}\}\in\mathbb{R^{+}}[/itex] is a bounded sequence and [itex]r=\lim\sup_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_{n}[/itex]. Show that [itex]\forall\epsilon>0,\exists[/itex] finitely many x_{n}>r+\epsilon and infinitely many [itex]x_{n}<r+\epsilon[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

By definition of limit superior, [itex]r\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] is such that [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex], [itex]\exists N_{\epsilon}[/itex] s.t. [itex]x_{n}<r+\epsilon, \forall n>N_{\epsilon}[/itex]. This would imply that any [itex]x>r+\epsilon/[itex] is an upper bound on [itex]\{x_{n}\}[/itex]. How do I show that there are finitely many such upper bounds? Is it because [itex]\{x_{n}\}[/itex] is a bounded sequence that there must only be finite [itex]x_{n}>r+\epsilon[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I show that there are finitely many such upper bound

I'm not sure what you mean here, but what you've written basically answers the first part of the question. If for [itex]n>N_{\epsilon}[/itex], [itex] x_n<r+\epsilon[/itex], then there are at most [itex]N_{\epsilon}[/itex] values of xn which are larger than [itex]r+\epsilon[/itex]

Office_Shredder said:
I'm not sure what you mean here, but what you've written basically answers the first part of the question. If for [itex]n>N_{\epsilon}[/itex], [itex] x_n<r+\epsilon[/itex], then there are at most [itex]N_{\epsilon}[/itex] values of xn which are larger than [itex]r+\epsilon[/itex]

I meant that "there are finitely many such [itex]x\in(x_{n})[/itex]". How do I get started proving that there are infinitely many [itex]x\in(x_{n})[/itex] s.t. [itex]x<r+\epsilon[/itex]?

autre said:
How do I get started proving that there are infinitely many [itex]x\in(x_{n})[/itex] s.t. [itex]x<r+\epsilon[/itex]?

Suppose there were only finitely many [itex]x_n[/itex] such that [itex]x_n < r + \epsilon[/itex]. Would this in any way contradict the given facts? (Think about the definition of lim sup)

Question 1: What is the definition of limit superior?

The limit superior, denoted as lim sup, is a mathematical concept that describes the highest possible limit of a sequence or function as its index approaches infinity.

Question 2: How is limit superior calculated?

To calculate the limit superior of a sequence or function, one must find the supremum (or least upper bound) of all the subsequential limits of the sequence or function.

Question 3: What is the difference between limit superior and limit inferior?

The limit superior represents the highest possible limit of a sequence or function, while the limit inferior represents the lowest possible limit. In other words, the limit superior is the upper bound and the limit inferior is the lower bound of the sequence or function.

Question 4: Can the limit superior be equal to the limit of a sequence or function?

Yes, the limit superior can be equal to the limit of a sequence or function. This happens when the sequence or function is convergent and has a finite limit, in which case the limit superior and limit inferior are both equal to the limit.

Question 5: How is limit superior used in real life applications?

Limit superior is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. It helps in analyzing the behavior of a system as its parameters approach certain limits, and also in determining the stability and convergence of numerical methods and algorithms.